A plan for all Edmontonians
The Way We Live: Edmonton’s People Plan is the City’s first plan focusing on people services and quality of life issues.
It builds on Edmonton’s strengths - its vibrant arts and culture sector, strong libraries, community leagues, volunteerism, sports programs, parks and natural areas, river valley, diverse retail sector and strong municipal government.
The Way We Live: Edmonton’s People Plan acknowledges the importance of building positive relationships among individuals, neighbourhoods, communities and regions.
What are people services?
The people services provided to Edmontonians reflect the needs and values of the community. Edmontonians work collaboratively with the City to directly provide, partner and advocate for people services.
People services include essential services for daily living, such as:
- Water quality
- Waste management
- Emergency services
- Public transit
They also include services that add to our quality of life and to our national and international reputation, such as:
- Recreation centres
- Welcoming new residents
- Arts, cultural and sporting events
- Preventive social services
- Crisis supports
- Celebrations of historic, civic and cultural milestones
- Caring for vulnerable populations
How the City of Edmonton meets people services needs
The City of Edmonton wears many hats when it comes to ensuring Edmontonians receive the people services that contribute to our quality of life.
- Partners with other organizations and other orders of government to deliver people services – such as the Citizen and New Arrival Information Centre on the main floor of city hall that receives provincial government funding. We also partner with Edmonton school boards to create the joint use of schools agreement which has provided community space for activities.
- Advocates with and to other orders of government and community stakeholders for people services that impact residents' quality of life such as housing, education and health care.
- Provides services that reflects the needs and values of Edmontonians and their community.