This interactive T4 guide provides details on the 2017 T4 – Statement of Remuneration Paid.
If you would like clarification on any of the information provided or more help in preparing your tax return, please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281, or at their web site at www.cra-arc.gc.ca.
Drag to view image
Tap on hotspots to learn more.
Reports Alberta (AB) as the Province of Employment
Reports your Social Insurance Number. Ensure your Social Insurance Number is correct
Reports your Employment Income before deductions. This amount includes regular wages, overtime, premium pay, vacation pay, short term disability payments, taxable allowances, the value of taxable benefits and any other taxable earnings
NOTE: Box 14 also includes amounts reported in the “Other” information section of your T4. The values of the taxable benefits that are recorded are represented by footnote codes for 2018. The following are the main taxable benefit footnote codes used by The City of Edmonton Code 34 and Code 40.
Reports the amount of Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributions deducted from your 2018 remuneration. The maximum employee CPP contribution for 2018 is $2,593.80.
Reports the amount of Employment Insurance (EI) premiums deducted from your 2018 remuneration. The maximum employee EI contribution for 2018 is $858.22.
Reports the Registered Pension Plan Contributions for 2018 pensionable service as well as prior pensionable service
Reports the amount of Income Tax (Federal and Provincial) deducted from your 2017 remuneration
Reports the EI Insurable Earnings. The maximum EI insurable earnings amount for 2018 is $51,700
Reports the amount of Canada Pension Plan Pensionable Earnings. The maximum CPP pensionable earnings amount for 2018 is $55,900
Marked with an “X” if you are exempt from Canada Pension Plan contributions or Employment Insurance premiums. This does not apply to most employees
Reports the amount of Union Dues paid
Reports the amount deducted for Charitable Donations that is eligible to be claimed as a donation to a registered charitable organization. For 2018, deductions under code CHAR% is reported as charitable donation at 75% of your annual deduction and the remaining 25% applies to the Employee Bursary Fund in your union, which is not tax deductible, therefore, not reported in box 46
United Way charitable payroll deductions under code UW and EPL charitable deductions under code ECD are also reported in Box 46 at 100% of contributions made
Reports the Pension Plan Registration Number for the pension plan in which you participate
Records your Pension Adjustment. This represents the value of your pension for the year 2018 as deemed by Canada Revenue Agency
- Box 43
- Reports the total monthly tax exemption amount while an employee was deployed in International Peacekeeping Operations for the taxation year. This amount is included in Box 14
- Code 66
- Reports any Eligible Retiring Allowances, including income plan replacement payments, for 2018 (note that taxes deducted from these amounts are included in box 22 Income Tax). These payments are not included in box 14
- Code 67
- Reports any Non Eligible Retiring Allowances for 2018 (note that taxes deducted from these amounts are included in box 22 Income Tax). These payments are not included in box 14
- Code 77
- Workers’ Compensation Payments received by the City from Workers’ Compensation on your behalf in the year 2018 for earnings losses
Note: this box is completed for Edmonton Police Services employees only unless claims adjudicated are from a previous taxation year)
- Code 85
- Employee-paid benefit premiums for 2018. An employee may be able to claim their premiums paid for private health services plans as qualifying medical expenses (refer to CRA website for further information)
- Box 34
- City provided vehicles, taxable benefits associated with the personal use of employer's motor vehicle
Reports the dollar value of employer paid taxable benefits and are included in box 14. The most commonly reported taxable benefits while working for the City of Edmonton are:
- City paid premiums, for group term life insurance
- Reduced rate bus passes, the difference between the regular cost of the pass and the reduced rate offered to employees is considered a taxable benefit by Canada Revenue Agency
- City paid parking, deemed a taxable benefit by Canada Revenue Agency