Main page content begins here

The City issues a wide range of permits which include:

  • Development permits
  • Mechanical permits
  • Lot structural changes permits
  • Emergency permits
  • Safety permits
  • Utility Line Assignment (ULA) Permits

Development Permits

A development permit approves the location, size and use of a building. Development permits and approvals need to be obtained for new construction, renovations, businesses, and changes to how a building is being used.

All properties within the City of Edmonton are zoned and that zoning determines which type of building and uses are allowed.

The Zoning Bylaw provides the guidelines for Edmonton's zones.

Find your property's zoning designation.

A development permit may also be subject to conditions, such as a requirement to pay for a sewer or roadway assessment, used to finance larger shared infrastructure that will benefit the property. For more information read Financing New Sanitary Trunk Construction and Servicing Agreement Fee Assessments.

Building Permits

While development permits regulate your property's appearance and use in the context of your neighbourhood, building permits make sure that what you build is actually safe.

City building permits make sure that development on your property is up to the standards of the Alberta Building Code.

You can buy a complete copy of the Alberta Building Code from the Government of Alberta.

Development and Building Permit Review Timelines

Single Detached House Applications

Starting in the first quarter of 2018, Development Services will be implementing a new process for measuring and reporting Development and Building Permit review timelines for Single Detached House applications.

Applicants can now expect predictability around processing times if a complete application is submitted and all fees are paid. The City will be measuring and reporting the timeline to decision made, which includes the time a complete application is submitted and all fees are paid, to the time a decision is made.

Current Timelines for Development and Building Review
Winter (October-March)
Number of Business Days

Expedited: 19
Greenfield: 32
Infill: 37

Summer (April-September)
Number of Business Days

Expedited: 24
Greenfield: 42
Infill: 52

Note: Timelines will be updated quarterly as part of the Quarterly Activity Report.

Updated Application Forms For New Home Construction

As of February 1, 2014, all new home building permit applications will be required under the New Home Buyer Protection Act (Municipal Affairs of the Alberta Government) to supply one of the following before a building permit can be issued:

  • Warranty Confirmation number
  • An exemption letter from the Alberta Government

Please ensure you use the updated application forms to provide this required information.

For more information about the warranty program visit

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical permits (commercial and residential) regulate the utilities servicing a property. This includes the water and sewer lines, interior plumbing, gas, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and electricity.

Parking Permits

Some areas in Edmonton have restricted parking. For example, houses close to Commonwealth Stadium have restricted parking that ensures residents are able to park when events occur.

If you live in one of these restricted parking areas, you can get a Residential Parking Permit that allows you to park on the street close to your home.


The Development Services of the City of Edmonton is responsible for issuing business licences and taxi, limousine driver, private transportation provider and vehicle licences.

The Community Standards Branch of the City of Edmonton is responsible for issuing pet licences.

Utility Line Assignment (ULA) Permits

A ULA permit is issued by the City of Edmonton for an approved utility alignment or for monitoring well installation within City road rights-of-way.

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content