Main page content begins here

Road-right-of-way defines the use of public property designated for traffic and pedestrians. You can obtain a licence for temporary use of road-right-of-way.

Bridge Banners

The Bridge Banner Program is intended to aid non-profit/charitable organizations or public events in their objectives by providing advertisement space on city overpasses.

These guidelines address placement of signs on road-right-of-way pursuant to Bylaw 5590, the Traffic Bylaw.

Submit A Request


Extended Lobbies

Help make our streets more interesting and encourage pedestrian activity. This licence allows non-permanent construction for retail displays on storefront sidewalks.

Guidelines and Fees

Application Form

Licence of Occupation

This licence allows the road-right-of-way for commercial or residential purposes, such as parking and storage areas, landscaping and gardening, walls and fences, freestanding business identification signs, and artwork.

Guidelines and Fees

Commercial Application Form

Residential Application Form

On-Street Construction & Maintenance (OSCAM)

On-Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) permits are required for all work on City road-right-of-ways, under any one of the following conditions:

  • All work that involves excavation of roadways, sidewalks, or boulevards
  • Non-excavation work that interferes with traffic flows on major roadways during the hours of 6am to 9am and/or 3:30pm to 6:30pm excluding weekends and holidays
  • All work on freeways, river crossings, in the downtown core, or Whyte Avenue area
  • All work with a duration of more than four hours at any one location. Multiple work locations less than 250 metres apart are considered to be one location
OSCAM Permit Request

All work within road-right-of-way must be completed within City of Edmonton Design and Construction standards. City Lands must be restored to the same state and condition in which it existed prior to work commencement. The Guidelines for Excavation and Core Restoration (Section 2965) summarize the Design and Construction Standard key points. The construction standard has exact details for your work area.

Stone Mastic Asphalt SMA 2011-2013 No Cut Locations Map

Full Depth Reclamation Map (6.74MB)

Concrete Base Roadway Map (6.24MB)


Planters on boulevards and sidewalks need to meet the attached guidelines, and need to be approved by the City.


Planter Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Outline

Portable Signs

To place a portable sign on road-right-of-way, applicants must first enter into an Agreement with the City.

Portable Signs Application and Maps

Showhome Wayfinding

The City has developed a set of guidelines for the installation of showhome wayfinding signage within public road-right-of-way. These guidelines align with City Council’s direction to reduce sign clutter on public lands.

Showhome Wayfinding
Street Light Banners & Flower Baskets

To request banners or flower baskets on street lights email

Utility Line Assignment

External agencies and private utilities can apply for a ULA Permit to monitor or use well installations within the public road-right-of-way. All utility installations require a ULA Permit for City approval. For more information, visit Utility Line Assignment Permits.

Apply Online
Attach a digital copy of your tentative plan or indicate that hard copies will be sent. Acceptable file types are: doc, pdf and jpg. Confirmation of your application will be sent to the email indicated in the application.

For More Information

Parks and Roads Services

​16th Floor Edmonton Tower
10111 - 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB
T5J 0J4

Telephone 311
Fax 780-495-0330

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content