Main page content begins here

New Daily Fees For OSCAM Permits

Starting February 24, 2019, the City of Edmonton will be applying a $25 per day permit fee for all On-Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) permits.

The City engaged stakeholders from the development, utility, and road construction industries prior to implementing daily permit fees. The City will continue to engage these stakeholders leading up to the implementation of occupant fees in 2020.

About The New Fees

The daily permit fee is intended as an incentive for contractors to occupy road rights-of-way when necessary by ensuring the permit application aligns with the actual number of work days, as opposed to estimated work days. This will provide the public more opportunity to access and use these spaces.

The application of daily permit fees aligns with other Canadian municipalities such as Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, and Toronto.

How the Daily Permit Fee Is Calculated

Fees will be calculated based upon the number of days you request on your OSCAM Permit Application form. As an example if you request an OSCAM permit for 10 calendar days, your permit fee would be $250 plus GST.

Once your OSCAM permit is reviewed and approved, you will receive an email notification which will provide you with payment options for the OSCAM permit.

No daily fees are charged for Temporary Crossing Permits (TCP) or permits for placing hoarding around public trees within five metres of work sites or equipment. They can be applied to the entire duration of a project.

When The Fees Will Be Implemented

The daily permit fee will be implemented starting February 24, 2019.

A fee for the design and development of traffic accommodation plans by City staff will be also implemented in the first quarter of 2019.

Occupant fees for temporary daily use of public road right-of-way will be phased in starting in 2020, with initial implementation applied to Edmonton’s freeway and arterial road system. These fees will be based upon size and location of the space occupied.

How to Pay

Applicants will choose between the following payment options at the time of application:

  • Payment by credit/debit card, cheque or in person
  • Payment by invoice

Once an application is submitted, it will be reviewed and approved accordingly. Upon approval, the applicant will receive an email notification regarding instructions for payment:

Online Payment

You will be able to pay online using a credit card.

In Person

You can pay in person using credit/debit card, cheque or cash at:

Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue NW
Monday – Friday

You can mail your cheque to:

Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue NW
Monday – Friday
By Invoice

For the period of February 24-March 31, 2019, applicants will have payments by invoice accrued until April 1, 2019, with invoices sent out in April.

OSCAM Permits

On-Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) permits are required for all work on City road-right-of-ways, under any one of the following conditions:

  • All work that involves excavation of roadways, sidewalks, or boulevards
  • All work on freeways, river crossings, in the downtown core, or Whyte Avenue area
  • Non-excavation work that interferes with traffic flows on major roadways during the hours of 6-9am and/or 3:30-6:30pm, excluding weekends and holidays
  • Non-excavation work locations with a duration of more than 4 hours at any one location
  • Multiple non-excavation work locations, each less than 4 hours in duration, but closer than 250m apart are considered to be one location and require an OSCAM permit
  • Temporary crossing of a sidewalk and/or boulevard for the purpose of accessing private lands from a public roadway

The City of Edmonton processes 10,000+ OSCAM permits annually. Average processing time for an OSCAM permit application is currently 6 business days. Unless it is an emergency, please allow time for processing and public notification, especially for major impacts.

Permit Requests

OSCAM Permit Application

When you complete the form and submit, your application goes directly into our database. This allows us to:

  • Begin processing your OSCAM permit application almost immediately
  • You will be provided with an email notification immediately upon completion of the application form. The email notification will summarize your OSCAM permit application and provide you with:
    • A Reference Number - use this if you need to follow up with the OSCAM permit office, and
    • A Customer ID - should be kept as a reference and will allow for auto-filling of certain information on future permit applications

Customer ID Numbers

Approved OSCAM permits now show your Customer ID number. The new form works best if you have a valid Customer ID number and will allow you to auto-fill portions of the OSCAM permit request form. If you have recently applied and received an OSCAM permit, you may already have a Customer ID number.

Don't Have a Customer ID Number?

The new form will work even if you do not have a Customer ID number. Simply fill out and submit the form, you will receive your customer ID number with your next approved OSCAM permit, or contact Parks and Roads Services at or call 780-442-6458.

Procedures for On-Street Construction and Safety

The City of Edmonton Procedures for On-Street Construction and Safety, has additional information regarding OSCAM permits and work on road-right-of-way.

No Cut Exemption Request

A moratorium exists where a roadway or alley has been classified with a VCI (visual condition index) greater than 6, or where special restoration requirements are needed.

Utility Line Assignment

Authorization of utility and monitoring well installations within public road-right-of-way by external agencies and private utilities must first enter into an agreement with the City of Edmonton.

Temporary Crossing Permit (TCP)

As of January 28, 2019, Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permits (TCAAPs) are replaced with Temporary Crossing Permits (TCP). Temporary Crossing Permits (TCP) are issued as an OSCAM permit under the work reason: Crossing Temporary TCP

A Temporary Crossing Permit (TCP) is required when motorized equipment will be crossing:

  • A boulevard or a sidewalk to temporarily access private property from the public road right-of-way, when there is no legal access to the private property

A Tree Protection Plan (for any building applications within 5 metres of a City tree) may be required by Urban Forestry as part of the Temporary Crossing Permit (TCP) and the applicant must provide protection to boulevard trees. The applicant shall also provide boulevard protection and appropriate drainage as required.

There is no charge with either permit, and they can be applied for the duration of a project.

The City of Edmonton Residential Infill Construction Guide provides additional information about these requirements.

For More Information

OSCAM Permitting

Transportation Operations


(780) 442-6458


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content