Main page content begins here

Commercial development for new or existing buildings involves a number of different types of permit approvals. These different approvals depend on whether the project:

  • Constructs a new building (type: commercial, industrial, institutional)
  • Adds or makes changes to an existing building
  • Installs or alters mechanical components
  • Starts, maintains or expands a business operation
  • Provides required parking, accessibility and landscaping
  • Confirms zoning or compliance of a lot for purposes of sale or for purchase
  • Needs to be advertised with sign(s) on the property

The City of Edmonton will ensure safety, construction, land use, building location and size regulations are met.

Development permit approvals must be obtained for new construction, renovations, businesses and changes of use to existing buildings.

New Buildings and Alterations

Construction of new buildings is reviewed for land use, placement, construction and safety before approval is granted.

Exterior alterations such as vestibules or additions for more space require both a development permit and a building permit.

Some interior additions require review. For example, if you applied to build a new bay space and your plan includes the construction of a new exterior door, our office would review the plan and the addressing assessment and assign a municipal number to the new bay.

Outdoor patios and sidewalk cafes require approvals as this addition is an alteration to the existing use space.

Structural Changes or Construction Before Permits

If you start to build or add on to your building before obtaining the necessary permits, you will be charged double fees.

Lot Use

A development permit is required to work off an empty piece of land: for example, a Christmas tree sales operation.  If a portable building is moved onto the site, such an office trailer or staff shelter, an additional building approval is required.

Relocation of a Business

When businesses move from one building space to another, a development permit is required to ensure the business fits under the new location's zoning regulations.

Landscaping and Advertising

Approvals and permits are required to landscape and place advertising signs on a new building.

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm

Contact us online


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content