Main page content begins here

The City requires all business owners to have a business licence.


Licences are regulated by under a number of different bylaws (Business Licence Bylaw, Massage Practitioners Bylaw, Exotic Entertainers Bylaw.) which promote the health, safety and community standards for the citizens of Edmonton.

Common bylaws

Starting a business

Licence Exemptions

Some occupations and professions are exempt from obtaining a business licence.  In these cases, these occupations and professions are regulated through provincial or federal legislation and are usually covered under an Act that has been passed by either the provincial or federal government.

In most cases, even though the occupation is exempt from obtaining a business licence, they are still required to obtain a development permit or approval to operate that type of business in that location.

Development Permits

All business licence applications are reviewed to determine whether a development permit would also be required in addition to the business licence.

Development permits are required approvals to ensure the proposed business activity is allowed for that location. These uses are defined and designated in the City of Edmonton Zoning Bylaw 12800, according to the zoning designation of the property.

Once development approval has been received to operate that type of business at that location, the business licence can then be processed.

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content