Main page content begins here

The following brochures have been created to help you understand the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw, the Alberta Building Code, and licence bylaws.


Safe Clean Construction Sites
Information about keeping construction sites bylaw compliant for a safe, clean city.

Permits and Services

Curb Crossing
Information about costs associated with curb crossing requests.

Need an Encroachment Agreement?
Explains what to do when a portion of your development is beyond your property line.

Any Questions about Telecommunications Facilities?
Information on the process involved for telecommunications facilities.


Developing Property Near a Ravine
General information about developing property near a ravine or in the river valley.

Displaying your address clearly
Information regarding address display requirements for properties.

Mature Neighbourhood Development
Guidelines are also in place for developing in mature neighbourhoods; please see the regulations in the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay for detailed information.


Changing a Land Use Zone in the City of Edmonton
Explains the steps to apply to have current zoning changed to new zoning

Subdivision of Land in Edmonton
Explains the steps required to apply to subdivide property in Edmonton

Animal Care and Control

Dog Bark Prevention
Explains how dog owners can prevent their pets from disturbing the neighbours

Dog Bite Prevention
Safety information on dog bite prevention.

Responsible Cat Ownership
General information about licensing requirements and bylaws for cats in the City of Edmonton.

Responsible Dog Ownership
General information about licensing requirements and bylaws for dogs in the City of Edmonton.


Changing Your Commercial Building's Use or Interior
Explains regulations that apply when interior alterations are proposed for a commercial space.

Developing a Parking Lot?
Explains the requirements necessary when constructing a designated parking area.

Business Licences
General information regarding licensing a business in Edmonton.

Using a Temporary Sign?
Outlines permit requirements and the placement of temporary signs.


Water Efficient Fixtures Bylaw
Explains regulations regarding the water efficient fixtures bylaw.


Changing Your Commercial Building's Use or Interior?
Explains regulations when interior alterations are proposed for a commercial space.


Building a House or an Addition?
Outlines regulations on construction of a new house or a house addition. This can include an attached garage, sunroom, front landing.

Building a Fence?
Outlines the regulations for residential fencing.

Building a Shed?
Explains the standards and regulations on size and placement of a residential shed.

Developing Your Basement?
Explains the regulations for basement alterations and development.

Guide to Landscaping your home
Explains the regulations for landscaping your home.


Installing a Hot Tub?
Outlines regulations related to hot tubs or any type of body of water deeper than two feet on your property. Also refers to swimming pools and ponds.

Installing a Satellite Dish?
Explains installation requirements of a satellite dish placed on your property whether it is self-standing on a post or attached to the building.

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content