Post-secondary Institutions Support Industrial Growth
The greater Edmonton area has a population of well over one million people with more than 700,000 people active in the workforce. The workforce is younger, highly trained and representative of the multicultural diversity of the region.
Edmonton’s basic education needs are served by two publicly funded K-12 school systems and a range of special charter schools.
It is also home to six publicly funded post-secondary institutions and a host of private training schools. Together, they offer a full range of training and educational options to over 180,000 full- and part-time students in the area, supporting the crucial needs of the industrial, manufacturing and construction sectors located in Edmonton.
Edmonton’s publicly funded post-secondary institutions are:
University of Alberta (U of A) 38,000 students
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) 48,500 students
MacEwan University 19,000 students
NorQuest College 9,000 students
Concordia University of Edmonton 1,600 students
King’s University College 700 students
University of Alberta
The U of A has earned an internationally renowned reputation based on the calibre of its courses of study, teaching acumen and research excellence. The university has been ranked as one of the world’s top 100 universities, and the U of A’s Alberta School of Business is ranked in the top 100 business schools globally. The U of A's enrolment is over 38,000 in 18 faculties.
- ranks in size among the top 5% of more than 400 engineering schools in North America, and
- is internationally recognized, with engineering and information technology ranked among the top 100 in the world, out of more than 2,000 universities consider by the 2011-2012 QS World University Rankings.
The U of A also offers transformative research in many science disciplines, directly supporting Edmonton’s economy.
- The university is home to the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Oil Sands Molecular Engineering.
- Engineering faculty research attracts more than $50 million annually in external research funding.
- The U of A maintains links to Canada’s North and the world’s boreal regions, including close association with the Canadian Circumpolar Institute.
NAIT - Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
NAIT is the largest apprenticeship trainer in Canada – with the capacity to train about 15,000 apprentices annually in 33 trades. NAIT:
- serves 30,000 students at its 16 learning sites in the Edmonton area,
- offers 200 credit programs leading to degrees, applied degrees, diplomas and certificates, and
- provides more than 1,400 continuing education courses.
The NAIT Shell Manufacturing Centre (NSMC) helps Alberta’s manufacturing industries, especially small and medium enterprises, become globally competitive. The centre:
- offers part-time certificate and customized training in productivity enhancement and manufacturing solutions, and
- includes nine high-tech laboratories with state-of-the-art equipment and software.
novaNAIT is the home of applied research and enterprise development at NAIT. The centre supports and facilitates applied research and development of commercially relevant products and services for industry.
With a student population of more than 19,000, MacEwan University's four faculties and schools offer seven Bachelor degrees, three degree-transfer programs, two Applied Bachelor degrees and more than 50 diploma and certificate programs as well as specialized corporate training.
NorQuest College serves a unique industry need for English as a Second Language (ESL), academic upgrading and employment preparation programs.
NorQuest is Alberta’s largest community college with more than 4,500 full-time equivalent students and is the largest provider of college and employment prep programs in Alberta.
Private-sector Trade School and Colleges
The following selected Edmonton private-sector trade schools and colleges offer courses that directly support industry:
- Alberta Big Rig Driver Education
- The Bredin Institute Centre for Learning
- Business Career College
- Capilano Truck Driver Training Institute
- Gennaro Transport Training
- GRB College of Welding
- Lokken Career College
- Security Officer Career College
- Canadian Petroleum Training Institute