Main page content begins here

Downtown office towers

This is an overview of application fees and possible servicing costs associated with industrial land development applications.

Application Fees

The 2018 Rezoning and Subdivison Fees will be assessed after your application has been reviewed and accepted for processing. Note that the fees are not required when the application is submitted, but must be paid before the application is circulated for further review.

In addition to the rezoning application fee, a bylaw advertising fee will be charged prior to the public hearing.

Servicing Agreement Inspection Fees are to be paid to the City for inspecting and approving municipal improvements constructed in accordance with a servicing agreement.

Licence and Permit Fee Listings provides details on the various licence and permit fees related to business development and construction.

Business Licence Fees are specific to the business category.

Utility and Servicing Cost

Here are examples of the utility and servicing costs that may be required as part of an industrial development project.

Permanent Area Contributions (PAC) are payments for storm and sanitary trunk sewers, storm water management facilities, and other cost-sharable drainage improvements within predefined drainage basins (land areas). They are calculated based on the area of development or subdivision.

Expansion Assessment Charges (EA) are applied to an entire property located in areas planned to be serviced by the existing or future major sanitary trunks. The applicant is required to pay at the time of Development Agreement an amount based on the current sanitary trunk rate for the specific area.

Arterial Roadway Assessments (ARA) establish how developers will share the costs of arterial roadway infrastructure. Each development occurring within the catchment is required to pay an assessment based on a per hectare rate under the provisions of the Servicing Agreement.

They are collected as a condition of a subdivision or Development Permit. Please note that arterial roadway assessments may not apply to all developments.

Municipal Reserve (MR) dedication is a requirement of the development process for the purpose of acquisition of school and/or park land. The Province’s Municipal Government Act (MGA) gives the City of Edmonton the authority to require land owners to dedicate land which is equivalent to 10% of the area of the parent parcel or to dedicate money-in-place of land which is equivalent to 10% of the appraised market value of the parent parcel.

Sanitary Sewer Trunk Charge (SSTC)
The SSTC is one source of revenue for the Sanitary Servicing Strategy Fund (SSSF). Upon receipt of an approved development permit, the successful applicant must pay applicable charges. All monies collected are deposited into the SSSF and used to build new major sanitary trunk sewers under the approved Sanitary Servicing Strategy plan.

Technical Studies

The City of Edmonton does not provide estimated costs of technical studies. Land owners are responsible for the commissioning of professionals or consultants to complete the technical studies and reports that may be required during planning and permitting processes.

For More Information

Ken Mamczasz, P.Eng.

Economic Investment and Development
Regional and Economic Development
9th Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111-104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Title Director, Economic Investment & Development



End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content