The EETP has been envisioned using a progressive and sustainable model of development based on eco-industrial principles.
At its core, an eco-industrial park is a network of companies linked through exchanges of products and by-products, working towards a common goal of optimizing economic and environmental objectives.
Eco-Industrial parks like the EETP provide a framework through which industry can be successfully integrated with the natural and social environment of a community.
This is achieved by mirroring the cyclical flow of natural eco-systems in an industrial setting by defining all wastes as potential feedstocks and reusing them within the park, decreasing costs and pollution as a result.
Benefits for Tenant Firms
- Increased return on investment: Enhances human and material resource efficiency, through common infrastructure and by-product exchanges
- Increased market share: Capitalizes on the growing consumer demand for environmentally sound products and businesses
- Collaborative environment of continuous improvement: Fosters a collaborative atmosphere for improving economic and environmental efficiency
- Decreased disposal costs: Markets former “waste” products, replacing disposal costs with revenues from by-product exchanges.
Benefits for the Community and Environment
- Increased employment opportunities: Creates jobs through recruited firms, start-up companies and linkages with existing local firms
- Reduced pollution: Preserves local air and water quality by reducing industrial emissions
- Reduced volume of solid waste sent to landfill: Coordinates solid waste exchanges that reuse former “waste” products
- Improved energy efficiency: Incorporates cogeneration systems and energy efficient buildings to reduce energy consumption and related pollution