On March 8, 2021, the Government of Alberta announced the move into full Step 2 of its Path Forward. This includes easing of COVID-19 restrictions for retail, hotels and community halls, performance groups, and youth sports, performance and recreation. These changes are effective immediately and are in addition to the Step 2 measures announced on March 1, 2021.
Under the new measures, all retail services and shopping malls must limit customer capacity to 25 per cent of fire code occupancy, not including staff. This is an increase from 15 per cent. This includes individual stores and common areas. Curbside pickup, delivery and online services are encouraged.
Restaurants, Bars, lounges and cafes
Restaurants, pubs, bars, lounges and cafes can open for in-person service, with restrictions.
- Six people per table maximum – individuals must be from the same household or the 2 close contacts for a person living alone
- Tables and dining parties must be 2 metres apart or separated by an impermeable barrier that will prevent droplet transmission
- Contact information must be collected from one person of the dining party
- Liquor service ends at 10pm
- In-person dining must close by 11pm
- No entertainment allowed (such as, VLTs, pool tables, live music).
For further information on current health measures for businesses, please see the businesses and services restrictions section at alberta.ca/covid19.