On Sunday August 18, thousands of racers will take to our Downtown streets as the Servus Edmonton Marathon winds through several of Edmonton’s historic and scenic neighbourhoods. This marathon is a 2020 Boston Marathon qualifier.
Road Closures and Traffic Delays
The race route starts and finishes at the Edmonton Convention Centre (located at 9797 Jasper Avenue). The following road closures will be in effect:
- Saturday August 17, all day: Full closure of Jasper Avenue, from 97 Street to 99 Street
- Sunday August 18, 5am-3pm: Full closure of Jasper Avenue, from 95 Street to 109 Street
Expect major traffic delays Downtown and west to 142 Street on Sunday August 18 from 5am-3pm. Please plan ahead, as driving across the race course could take up to an hour.
Crossing the Route
Expect major traffic delays crossing the race route:
Jasper Avenue, from 95 Street to 109 Street
102 Avenue, from 112 Street to 138 Street
Buena Vista Road at 140 Street
Course marshals and police officers will be stationed at intersections to assist with traffic crossings when a break in the runners safely allows, however this may take up to an hour.
Suggested Alternate Routes of Travel
To detour around the race route, use 104 Avenue, 107 Avenue, River Valley Road, Groat Road, or 75 Street/Wayne Gretzky Drive.
Parking restrictions on the event route will be in effect. Illegally parked vehicles will ticketed and towed.
Access to Downtown Parking Facilities
Access to a number of Downtown parking facilities will be impacted from Saturday August 17 at 6:30am to Sunday August 18 at 4pm. Parking facilities impacted include:
- Canada Place East Parkade
- Canada Place West Parkade
- Stanley A. Milner Library Parkade
- Sun Life Parkade
- KRP Tower
- Double Tree by Hilton
- Diamond and Impark lots on 99 Street, south of Jasper Avenue
- Surface lots along 101A Avenue, from 96 Street to 97 Street
Access to these parking facilities will be available via:
- 101A Avenue/100 Street intersection
- Jasper Avenue/100 Street intersection
- 95A Street, south of Jasper Avenue (only)
Many areas of the race route will allow local access only. Plan ahead and expect delays.
Impacts to Downtown neighbourhoods east of the Edmonton Convention Centre will end by 10:30am. Impacts to Downtown neighbourhoods west of the Edmonton Convention Centre will end by 3pm.
Residential streets in the neighbourhoods of Virginia Park, Bellevue, Highlands, Beverly Heights, Rundle Heights, Glenora, Crestwood, Parkview, Laurier Heights will be impacted. Residents are asked not to park on the route and to follow directions from race course marshals.
A number of ETS bus routes will be detouring and some bus stops will be closed during the event:
- August 17, all day: Routes 2, 3, 5, 100 and 120
- August 18, 2:30–8:30pm: Routes 2, 3, 5, 100 and 120
- August 18, 5am–2:30pm: Routes 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 15, 100, 128, 130, 140 and 151
- August 18, 5–10am: Routes 141 and 142
- August 18, 5am–3pm: Route 2
ETS customers are encouraged to leave extra travel time and plan ahead using the Trip Planner on. Regular fares apply.
Marathon Event Information
For marathon event information, to register, or to volunteer, visit.