Main page content begins here

Do I need insurance?

Yes. All events held on a street, in a park, or on City of Edmonton property require proof of at least $2 million dollars liability insurance.

Do I need to apply for any permits or licences?

Maybe. You will need a license or permit if your event includes any of the following activities:

  • Is in a park
  • Is on City-owned property
  • Is on a street
  • Will have tents or other structures on site
  • Plans to have vendors selling food or merchandise
  • Plans to have alcohol on site
  • Will include activities involving or pyrotechnics (for example fireworks, fire pits, fire sculptures, fire performance)
  • Other activities may require a permit as well

After you submit your Event Application, the Civic Events Office will inform you which permits you will require, and will guide you through the process.

How do I apply for a noise bylaw exemption?

Any person wishing to apply for a noise waiver must fill out the Noise Permit Application Form. Applications are reviewed by the Director of the Community Standards and Neighbourhoods branch. 

To grant a noise waiver the following criteria must be met:

  • The event or activity being conducted shall be deemed to be for the benefit or in the interest of the public.
  • Efforts must be made to contact those residents or businesses that may be affected by the noise prior to the start of the activity or event.
  • Nature of activity or event must be outlined, including:
    • Name of company performing work and for whom
    • Address of activity or event
    • Time(s) of activity or event
    • Date(s) of activity or event
    • Contact person on site (24 hours)
    • Cellular phone number of contact person

The City will take into consideration if a previous noise waiver had been issued and if there were any complications or reasons not to re-issue another waiver.

Copies of all noise waivers are forwarded to the Police Communications Section.

Noise waivers can be revoked at any time.

What are some of the bylaws and regulations I should be aware of?

Festivals and events are responsible for ensuring that they adhere to the municipal, provincial, and federal laws and regulations.

Some of the items you will need to ensure compliance with include:

Please note that this is not a complete list. Other regulations and legislation may apply to your event.

For More Information

Civic Events Office

P.O. Box 2359
Edmonton AB  T5J 0K1



Fax 780-944-0042

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content