Main page content begins here

Filming, including photography, on City of Edmonton public property may require a permit. 

If you are filming for personal purposes, like a family video at a birthday party or pictures for a family album, then a permit is not required. This includes wedding photography. 

If, however, there is a commercial use for the photos or video, then you must acquire a permit in order to be able to film on City of Edmonton property. This includes music videos, monetized YouTube channels and commercial wedding photography. 

All drones/Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) flights on City of Edmonton property require a permit regardless if the use of the imagery is for commercial or personal use.

Single Location Request

All Open, Parkland, and Outdoor spaces and all Drone/RPAS flights are managed by the Civic Events Office. All filming conducted on or over these public spaces must be approved by the Civic Events Office. Start the application process by submitting a Drone, Filming & Photography Application.

Multiple Location Request

To film in multiple locations, including recreation facilities and outdoor public spaces, please connect with the Civic Events Office by submitting a Drone, Filming & Photography Application as we can coordinate the entire request with a single permit. 


Inside of a Facility

To film inside a City of Edmonton facility, like a recreation centre, you will require permission from the management staff of that specific building. Please call 311 or fill out an online 311 form to be directed to the correct individual.

On Edmonton Transit Property

To film on Edmonton Transit property, like an LRT station, you are required to complete a Request to Vend Activities on ETS Property application.

All commercial filming requests will need to provide information on their requests including, but not limited to, a copy of their insurance policy for $2M with the City of Edmonton listed as an Additional Insured. There may be costs associated with facility rentals, roadway closures and civic services required for your event.

Filming Request Requirements

All Filming requests on City of Edmonton property require approval. 

In order to receive a permit to film on City of Edmonton property, the following is required: 

  • Contact information
  • A copy of the certificate of insurance for at least $2M with the City of Edmonton listed as Additional Insured.
  • A site map indicating the area of production
  • A summary of the scene(s) to be filmed
  • A list of all equipment that will be on site
  • Anticipated number of crew that will be on site
  • Arrival and departure time from site 
  • Anticipated size of cast and crew

In addition, depending on the size of the filming request, the following may also be required:

  • A copy of the circus plan or a parking plan
  • A copy of any license plates and types of any trailers that need to be parked on any street longer than 24 hours. 
  • A copy of any EPark zones that will be impacted
  • Any other requests that may require additional permits such as fire, police, noise or overnight filming, and so on.

Information for All Drone / Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) Flights

A permit is required for any Drone or Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) operations taking place on City of Edmonton property. This includes flights on or above parkland, as well as during festivals and events. This may also include roadways and sidewalks if closures are necessary.

In order to issue a permit for a drone or RPAS flight, the following is required: 

  • Contact details for permit holder who will be on site
  • Certificate of aviation insurance with a minimum of $2M in aviation liability coverage and the City of Edmonton listed as an Additional Insured.
  • Copy of Pilot’s Certificate (basic vs advanced)
  • Copy of Drone Registration Certificate
  • A list of all equipment that will be on site
  • Map including flight path, safe areas with lateral distances, distance from the nearest Heliport, and launch/land zones 
  • Arrival and departure time from site
  • Anticipated number of crew that will be on site
  • A description of the production if possible

Drone/RPAS Flights at Events and Festivals

Festival organizer (licensee) consent is required before a permit for drone/RPAS flights can be issued.

A Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) for an advertised event is needed when operating a drone/RPAS in less than 100’ away from the boundaries of an advertised event.

The boundaries of an advertised event (outdoor event including a concert, performance, festival, market or sporting event and so on) are limited by perimeter fences and gates where people are restricted by the event personnel, volunteers and security, or peace officers.

Where no such perimeter is defined for outdoor advertised events like for marathons, triathlons, cycling, swimming or skiing event, fishing derby, sailing, cruise ships, fireworks and so on, it is expected that the boundaries of the advertised event will be at least 100’ from people participating in the advertised event and 100’ from the track of the sporting event for all category of drone/RPAS pilot certificates and model of small drone/RPAS.

Filming, Drones & Photography Application Form

For More Information

Civic Events and Festivals Section

Sign up for our Newsletter to get the latest news and updates from the City of Edmonton Civic Events and Festivals section.

Telephone 780-944-7740
Before you call: please note that we can only assist you with events taking place on Roads, Plazas/Squares, or in River Valley Parks. Please visit Application Process: Neighbourhood Parks or Block Parties to book those type of events.
Fax 780-944-0042


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content