Mock Council is an exciting part of the program where students hold their own council meeting. Before you arrive, please ensure you have prepared your class in the following ways:
- Select an issue to debate – Choose an issue that is related to the students' community and/or is a local issue. In the past, classes have chosen to debate topics such as:
- Select students to play roles for the Mock Council:
- 1 Mayor
- 12 Councillors – one of which will act as the Deputy Mayor
- 1 City Clerk
- 2-4 interested citizens or organizations (such as members of a community league, school, City department, businesses, or neighbours) who wish to speak about the issue.
- 3-4 representatives from the media – radio, TV or newspaper – who will sit in the media area, take notes on our media clipboards and take photos with your school camera during the council meeting. (Remember to bring a camera!)
- Print off copies of the Mock Council Script so students can review the format.
- Have students fill in the Mock Council Prep Sheet, which will assist in compiling their research. Students are able to bring these sheets with them to reference during Mock Council if needed.
Here are the pages you need to print for the Mock Council: