Main page content begins here

It’s business as usual for the Square this summer. Enjoy festivals, eat, shop and play!
In September 2017, the Square will be impacted by Valley Line LRT construction. The Civic Events Office will work with you to find a suitable location for your event. 

How much does it cost to book Churchill Square?

It is free to book Churchill Square for an event. However, the event will be charged for any civic services necessary for running the event.

Will the City provide civic services for my event?

Civic services may be accessed for your event on an "as available" basis. Once you have completed the Event Application process, City staff will work with you to identify the support services your event may require.

Typical support services include the following: rental and delivery of picnic tables and waste receptacles, Special Duty Edmonton Police Service, permits, road closures, custodial services and access to electrical panels.

At our office, we understand that each and every event is different. The cost of your event is dependent on the incremental civic service fees associated with hosting your event on City property. Costs are allocated on a cost recovery basis only. Your Liaison will work with the various departments which are involved in hosting your event - to project their anticipated costs and make you aware of those costs prior to hosting your event.

Is Sir Winston Churchill Square considered parkland?

Yes, the Square is on City of Edmonton parkland which is governed by the Parkland Bylaw 2202.

The purpose of this bylaw is to regulate the conduct and activities of people on parkland to promote safe, enjoyable and reasonable use of such property and protect and preserve natural ecosystems for the benefit of all citizens of the City.

Can I hold a public rally on the Square?

Yes, you can hold a public rally on the Square.

Group activities and events attended by more than 50 people require a permit.

Such permits have been included under the Parkland Bylaw to allow City staff to manage resources and potential issues effectively and efficiently. When City staff know that your group is coming to parkland, they will ensure the site can accommodate your event and plan ahead for special services like extra garbage pickup. In addition, they will alert you to any conflicts with other groups coming to the same site and inform you if any other permits are required.

Can I drive a vehicle onto the Square?

Permission must be obtained to bring vehicles onto the Square. This will be included in the official paperwork you will receive from the City.

There are specific weight loads that can be accommodated on the various surfaces of the Square and City staff will work with you to identify the most appropriate areas for you to locate your event.

Event organizers will be required to place sheets of plywood under all parked vehicles to catch any oil or gas droppings from the vehicles.

Does the Square have a stage and sound system I can use?

The Square does not have an elevated stage or sound system; however, you can bring in temporary staging and sound for your event at your cost.  

How do I ensure that I have contacted all City departments for required services?

Once you have completed the Event Application process, you will have the opportunity to review all of the operational requirements for your event with City staff.

City staff will coordinate the request for and delivery of City support services.

Can I have animals on display in the Square?

Generally, animals are not allowed on parkland unless specifically permitted through signs, permits or other Bylaw exemptions granted for a specific reason.

A dog may be on the Square as long as there are no food vendors or food service on site, and the dog is on a leash not exceeding 2 metres in length and under control.

All requests for the display of animals on Churchill Square will be evaluated based on the type, size, and weight of the animal; the total number of animals on display; the type of proposed protective enclosures;  provisions for protecting the animals and the general population, and proposed measures to protect the surface of the Square.

Do I need to complete a booking form if my event requires minimal setup?

Yes. When City staff are aware that you will be coming to the Square, they will ensure the site can accommodate your event. They can also plan ahead for special services, alert you to any conflicts with other groups coming to the same site and alert you to any other permits required.

How can I book the Square?

Visit our Event Application section and we'll get started!

For More Information

Civic Events and Festivals Section



Fax 780-944-0042

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content