- To enter the contest, submit a maximum of six (6) original digital photographs per month on the subject and themes (Shot Thoughts) that represent Edmonton's attractions, facilities and vibrant places by February 28, 2014. If you are submitting more than one photo per month, photos must be submitted simultaneously (as one single entry per month). See specifications below.
- All participants who submit a valid entry (consisting of photo(s) and a completed entry form) will be entered into random prize draws (details below.) Each participant will be entered into the grand prize draw only once, and into the monthly prize draws only once in each month that they submit.
- Selected photographs will be used by the City of Edmonton to produce a 2015 photo calendar that will be sold and distributed publicly.
- Photos will be selected for use in the calendar by a panel of photography and design professionals, based on the following criteria:
- Unique compositions best depicting the beauty of the subject, or showcasing it as an iconic representation of a City of Edmonton attraction, facility or scene.
- Creative use of lighting / colour / exposure
- Image size / quality that match the named specifications
- Photographers will be credited in the calendar if their photograph(s) are used.
- The City of Edmonton reserves the non-exclusive rights to use any of the images submitted for any future internal or external communications, advertising, branding, or commercial applications related to City of Edmonton business at its will.
- The chances of winning are dependent on the number of contest entries received.
- Any submission of photos containing people must be accompanied by a photo waiver/release form signed by the individual(s) or legal guardian of the individual(s) who appear in the photo.
- Taking photos inside City of Edmonton recreation facilities is strictly prohibited (this includes any facility with a pool, fitness centre or the like.)
- The photograph(s) must clearly depict the subjects and themes, Shot Thoughts, that represent Edmonton’s attractions, facilities, vibrant places and scenes (no purchase necessary to photograph the exterior of facilities/grounds; however, standard admission rates apply when entering facilities. Taking photos inside City of Edmonton recreation facilities is strictly prohibited (this includes any facility with a pool, fitness centre or the like.)
- The photographer must declare that the photograph(s) submitted are original works, and the photographer has the right to authorize use and publication of the photograph(s).
- The photographer must declare that the photograph(s) have not been published or used by the City of Edmonton.
- Contest is open to residents of the Edmonton Capital Region.
- Participants must submit a completed contest entry form.
- Participants must submit a completed photo waiver/release form if applicable.
The approximate size of the calendar will be 12"w x 9"h, therefore acceptable images submitted are to be a minimum of 300 dpi at 12"w x 9"h in jpg, tif, psd, or raw files only.
Please do not resample your image to meet these requirements. Please do not edit your photos, as we would like them to look as natural and correct as possible.
We are looking for the highest quality images you are able to supply (use the highest quality setting on your camera) in order to produce the most professional looking calendar possible, highlighting your work.
How to Submit
Email a completed and signed entry form (and photo waiver/release form if applicable) to email@example.com and upload your images (with specifications listed) to the Artsmith File Transfer Site (you will be prompted for a username and password).
- Username: Photo-Contest
- Password: rnalea62
Please note, if you do not have a File Transfer Client already installed on your computer, we recommend installing the following: (you will have to route your computer server to the Artsmith File Transfer Site in order to upload your images).
Deliver one (1) disc (containing up to six original photos as per the technical specifications listed) along with a completed and signed entry form (and photo waiver/release form if applicable) to Technicare Imaging (10924-119 Street, Edmonton) from 8am - 5pm Monday-Friday or 10am-2pm on Saturdays. (entry form and photo waiver/release form available at Big Picture Photo Contest).
All eligible submissions received by the contest deadline (February 28, 2014) will be entered into a random draw for the following prizes:
- One Grand Prize draw consisting of a $1000 (one-thousand dollar) in-store credit applicable to photo services and Wall Décor Products (no cash value) at Pixportal Edmonton, and an annual pass* (for 12 consecutive months from the date of issue) valid at all City of Edmonton Attractions and Recreation facilities.
- One Second Prize draw consisting of a $500 (five-hundred dollar) in-store credit applicable to photo services and Wall Décor Products (no cash value) at Pixportal Edmonton, one annual pass* (for 12 consecutive months from the date of issue) valid at all City of Edmonton Attractions and Recreation facilities, and a Photography Level-1 class at the City Arts Centre.
- One Third Prize draw that includes one annual pass* (for 12 consecutive months from the date of issue) valid at all City of Edmonton Attractions and Recreation facilities, and a DSLR Camera Basics class at the City Arts Centre.
All eligible submissions received will be entered into a random draw for a monthly prize in the month in which the submission is received (one draw per month for each prize):
- A one-month pass to a City of Edmonton Attraction or Recreation facility of the winner's choice.
- A $50 (fifty-dollar) in-store credit applicable to photo services and Wall Decor Products (no cash value) at Pixportal Edmonton.
- All eligible submissions will be entered into the draw(s) whether their photography is selected for use in the calendar or not.
- Monthly winners are no longer eligible for the grand prize draw.
- Persons whose names are drawn must answer a skill-testing question in order to win the prize.
- City of Edmonton Attractions and Recreation facilities include Muttart Conservatory, Edmonton Valley Zoo, John Janzen Nature Centre, ACT Aquatic and Recreation Centre, Bonnie Doon Leisure Centre, Commonwealth, Confederation, Eastglen, Grand Trunk, Hardisty, Jasper Place, Kinsmen, Londonderry, Mill Woods, O'Leary, Peter Hemingway, St. Francis Xavier and Terwillegar.
- *Annual pass will be awarded on an individual basis. Dependent on the age of the prize winner, they will be awarded their respective pass (Child, Youth, Adult or Senior age groups, please view Admissions & Memberships for details).
Personal information is being collected by this program under the Authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act and will be used for administrative purposes of the City of Edmonton’s BIG Picture Photo Contest and to contact winners. Names provided by entrants will be used to credit persons whose material is selected for publication. If you have any questions please contact Jeff Stuart, City of Edmonton Market Planner at 780-423-4747.