Applications for the community rink off-leash pilot program are now open. Community leagues, please contact your Neighbourhood Resource Coordinator or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
Interested community leagues can now apply to designate a temporary off-leash area within community ice rinks between May and September as part of the Rink Off-leash Pilot Project.
For rinks to be considered, they must be fully boarded with grass bases. In addition, the following conditions must be met:
- Weatherproof signage must be present on site
- Bylaw and League contact information must be posted on the sign
- Signage about physical distancing, provided by the City of Edmonton, must be displayed.
- Waste containers must be available nearby and emptied regularly
- If additional waste containers are required they will be at the community league’s expense
- The League should consider providing dog waste bags to ensure users are able to remove defecation.
- Owners must have their dog on-leash outside of the rink area and stay on designated trails/paths
- Once closed for the season, the rink area must be cleaned to ensure it is ready for alternative use at the community league’s expense
- The rink may not be used for any other recreation activity during this period due to public health concerns
- The community league must have and maintain in good standing a tripartite licence agreement with the City for the location
- Community league must inform their insurance provider of their participation in the community league off-leash pilot program
- The League is responsible for monitoring off-leash use of the community rink, including appropriate physical distancing by users and adherence to Alberta Health gathering restrictions and public health measures.
- The League should consider regular sanitization of common contact points including entry gates and waste container lids.
- If noise, physical distancing or gathering complaints are reported for the space, Peace Officers/Animal Control Officers will review the location for suitability.