The development of the Kinsmen Sports Centre (KSC) Master Plan and Implementation Strategy began in 2011 to define a long term vision and plan that will direct future improvements of the facility. Recommendations were made for capital improvements, as well as operational considerations to be carried out in a practical, coordinated, economical, and efficient manner.
The Master Plan and Implementation Study for the Kinsmen Sports Centre addresses 3 key needs:
- Increase the facility’s capacity for activities
- Improve its functionality
- Redefine the operating mandate
In November 2014, City Council approved the Kinsmen Sports Centre Master Plan.
Recommended Capital Upgrades and Enhancements
Eight major zones were identified for capital improvements:
3 zones are located in the centre of the facility:
- A - lobby
- B - core area
- D - courts
3 zones focus on the aquatic area:
- C - dryland training gym / storage
- E - south concourse*
- G - pools renovations
Zone F targets the field house upgrades
Zone H addresses parking and site changes*
* Not part of current plan recommendations; further analysis is required.
Recommendations for Redevelopment
- Reconfiguring the front entrance with a ground level entry will provide a more welcoming entrance and will accommodate users with mobility concerns.
- Deepening and widening the warm up tank to a 10 lane, 50m pool will increase capacity for number of swimmers and will improve the City’s ability to host major events.
- Adding a hot tub/hydrotherapy tub on deck will support divers warming up and keep muscles loose between dives.
- Upgrading the field house with a new track and adding storage will make the facility more functional.
- Adding a dedicated space for dry-land training in the aquatic area will enhance training for the high performance athletes.
- Expanding the fitness centre will bring the facility up to current standards and increase its use and attendance
- Adding up to 8 accessible change rooms will support those with accessibility needs.
- Rebuilding the racquet courts to meet current standards will make the courts usable to train and play in.
Recommended Operating Priority and Direction
The Kinsmen Sports Centre will have a dual-mandate of equal importance to serve individual fitness enthusiasts, seeking fitness and training and high performance sport organizations for both training and competition. Beyond experiences for users aligned to this dual mandate, opportunities for casual users and more recreational uses will continue to be available and offered at Kinsmen Sports Centre as space and time determines.
For more information, see Vision and Mission: Kinsmen Sports Centre Master Plan.
Refinement of a Kinsmen Sports Centre Master Plan Operational Implementation Strategy with internal and external stakeholders to align to Vision and Mission.
September 2015 and Beyond
Operational initiatives from the Implementation Strategy will begin with the goal of strong alignment to the KSC Masterplan approval Vision, Mission and "Dual-Mandate".
KSC Masterplan - Capital upgrade funding options will continue to be explored.