Each year the City removes the debris left on roads from the winter season through the Spring Clean-Up Program.
About the Service
- Between approximately 150,000 to 180,000 tonnes of materials are used to sand Edmonton's roads each winter.
- In spring, the debris is collected on over 4700 km of roadway.
- Park crews sweep sand, dirt and debris from city boulevards, on major roadways along the curb areas for street sweepers to pick up.
- Road crews start street sweeping on a road after the boulevards are cleaned.
- 80% of the sand collected during Spring Clean-Up is reused.