Stony Plain Road over Groat Road Bridge Rehabilitation
This project is now listed as complete since the majority of the scheduled work has been completed.
In some cases, finishing work is required which could include landscaping or minor construction activities however the impact to motorists and pedestrians is expected to be minimal.
About the Project
The Stony Plain Road over Groat Road Bridge was originally constructed in the mid 1950’s and has served as a major roadway and pedestrian crossing of the Groat Ravine since that time. The bridge has undergone selective repairs over the years with the last major rehabilitation occurring in 1991 and it has again reached a condition state at which major repairs are needed to extend its life.
Bridge rehabilitation included:
- Deck surface removal and replacement
- Miscellaneous patching and other repairs to the piers and abutments
- Retrofit of leaking deck joints
- Barrier enhancement at the bridge pier on Groat Road northbound
Site Overview (112.66KB)
Bridge deck milling in progress. (91.23KB)
Bridge deck milling in progress. (70.61KB)
Bridge deck milling in progress. (108.47KB)
Where We Are At Today
Construction on this project began on April 28, 2013 and was completed in late summer 2013.
September 2013 - Project Update
- Bridge work nearly completed.
- North and south sidewalks will be alternately closed for approximately 5 weeks for epoxy overlay in late September/early October. One sidewalk will remain open to pedestrians while the other is curing.
August 2013 - Project Update
- Work to continue beneath bridge into September, after which sidewalks will be alternately closed over two weeks for epoxy overlay and curing. One sidewalk will remain open to pedestrians while the other is curing.
- A minimum of three lanes and the south sidewalk will reopen to trafﬁc by the end of August.
- Work on fourth lane and north sidewalk will be completed in September.
September 2012 - Public Meeting
The City of Edmonton presented the following information at the public meeting on September 25. Residents were provided information on the Stony Plain Road Over Groat Road Bridge Rehabilitation project and were invited to provide comments and feedback.
For more information: