Central Station LRT Rehabilitation & Jasper Avenue Streetscaping, 100 Street to 102 Street
April 2013 – Traffic Switch to North Side of Jasper Avenue
Jasper Avenue will be completely closed to traffic over the weekend of April 13/14 to accommodate traffic switching from the south side to the north side. One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction until completion of work in October 2013. Work scheduled for the 2013 construction season includes leak repairs to Central LRT Station and streetscape work on Jasper Avenue between 100 Street and 102 Street.
About the Project
This project will include two components, repairs to the Central LRT Station and the development of a new streetscape along a section of Jasper Avenue between 100 and 102 Street.
The Central LRT station will undergo repairs to the roof structure and overall waterproofing of the LRT structure. The Jasper Avenue component will include the addition of new streetscaping elements along Jasper Avenue, between 100 Street and 102 Street, based on the Jasper Avenue New Vision Plan.
For the existing LRT/pedway entrances, 101 Street, 100A Street and 100 Street, the design phase is underway with construction tentatively scheduled for 2013.
Central LRT Station Construction Includes:
- Removal and replacement of concrete, waterproofing membrane, and insulation overtop of the station roof girders.
- Bracing of roof girders with steel columns, and miscellaneous repair of deteriorated concrete and prestressing reinforcement.
- Relocation of smoke fan output from the centre median of Jasper Avenue to the south sidewalk.
- Removal and replacement of miscellaneous architectural features within station, including partial replacement of ceiling and wall textures.
Jasper Avenue Construction Includes:
- Total roadway reconstruction of Jasper Avenue between 100 Street and 102 Street.
- Construction of a new 5 lane roadway for Jasper Avenue between 100 Street and 102 Street (by replacing the existing central planted median with a shared left turning lane).
- Roadway repair and resurfacing on 102 Street, 101 Street, and 100 Street.
- Construction of a wider sidewalk on each side of Jasper Avenue (typically 6.0m wide) to create a more pedestrian friendly environment.
- Reconstruction of sidewalks on 102 Street, 101 Street, and 100 Street.
- Removal of the existing utility kiosks.
- Planting of new trees.
- Installation of new benches, poster kiosks, traffic signals, and decorative pedestrian/street lighting.
- Updating of the existing signage.
The following closures and detours will affect both motorists and pedestrians. Where possible, the City will strive to minimize any inconvenience. Please note that some impacts will continue throughout the course of construction whereas others will be specific to either the 2012 or 2013 construction season.
- Public access to Central Station will be maintained during construction, with portions of the station closed to the public at different times. Pedestrian traffic along Jasper Avenue will be maintained during construction, with 2m wide walking area (where practicable) on the north side in 2012 and the south side in 2013.
- There will be construction work happening at the Central Station Concourse/mezzanine level however passenger and pedestrian routes will be maintained, during normal LRT operating hours. This is generally intended for all entrances to be open. However, it will probably be necessary for some entrances to be shut at certain times.
During the 2012 construction season:
- The north side of Jasper Avenue will be closed from 102 Street to 100 Street in the 2012 construction season. Traffic will run with one lane in each direction on the south side of Jasper Avenue.
- Left turns will be banned for westbound traffic at 102 Street, all directions at 101 Street, and for eastbound traffic at 100 Street. No access will be allowed to 100A Street throughout the 2012 construction season.
- Starting on April 7, 2012, ETS will divert Jasper Avenue bus traffic from 103 Street to 100 Street via 102 Avenue.
Jasper Avenue Transit Detours
During the 2013 construction season:
- The south side of Jasper Avenue will be closed from 102 Street to 100 Street in the 2013 construction season. Traffic will run with one lane in each direction on the north side of Jasper Avenue.
Construction began on the north side of Jasper Avenue in May 2012, with completion of the new westbound lanes and sidewalk from 102 Street to 100 Street in November 2012. Construction is scheduled to begin on the south side of Jasper Avenue in April 2013, with completion of all works in November 2013.
For more information: