87 Avenue Widening
This project is now listed as complete since the majority of the scheduled work has been completed.
In some cases, finishing work is required which could include landscaping or minor construction activities however the impact to motorists and pedestrians is expected to be minimal.
About the Project
To accommodate growth and increased traffic flows in West Edmonton, the City has rehabilitated and widened 87 Avenue, from 165 Street to 175 Street and 170 Street from Whitemud Drive (WMD) to 90 Avenue.
- 170 Street and 87 Avenue rehabilitation
- 170 Street southbound widening to 4 lanes
- 87 Avenue widening to provide transit priority lanes
- New street lighting
- Curb/gutter replacement
- Sidewalk improvements and curb ramps at all intersections
Four new high angle right turns were installed at 170 Street and 87 Avenue. These intersection improvements will provide:
- Double left turns in all directions
- Transit priority
- New right turn geometry
- Improved turning safety
Timeline and Funding
The 87 Avenue Widening was funded by the approved 2009-2011 Capital Budget.
Construction began on May 25, 2010 with the majority of the construction finished in late fall 2011. Some carry-over work, including tree planting and landscaping, was completed in 2012.
February 2012 - Construction Update
- In 2011, the road base and associated work was mostly completed with the exception of the bus pads which will be added in 2012.
- The carry-over work, including a shared-use trail on the north side and landscaping, is scheduled for the 2012 construction season.
May 2010 - Open House
On May 4, 2010, the City held an Open House to share information about the project.
For more information: