Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres
Alberta Government House
Located at 12845 – 102 Avenue
This gracious sandstone building, opened in 1913, served as the residence of Alberta's Lieutenant Governors. The mansion was closed in 1938 and was used as a WWII veteran's hospital from 1944 to 1951. Then, in 1976, after extensive restoration, Government House was reopened as the province's official government conference centre.
- Take the Route 1 displaying WEM or West Edmonton Mall at 99 Street and 102 Avenue from Bus Stop #1756.
Take the Route 120 from 101 Street and Jasper Avenue, Bus Stop #1262 heading Westbound.
Fort Edmonton Park
Located at SW corner of Fox Drive and Whitemud Drive (approximately 70 Avenue – 143 Street)
It's living history at its best! Join the costumed historical interpreters and try your hand at living life as an early pioneer. You'll experience life as it was at the 1846 fort and on the streets of 1885, 1905 and 1920.
The closest ETS bus service would be to Fort Edmonton Park Road and Fox Drive giving you approximately 10 blocks to walk.
- Leaving from West Edmonton Mall take the Route 4 (displaying Capilano) to Fort Edmonton Park Road and Fox Drive.
- Leaving from Southgate Transit Centre take the Route 33 (displaying West Edmonton Mall) to Whitemud Drive North Bound and 53 Avenue (Bus Stop #4153) and catch route 30 (displaying South Campus) to Fort Edmonton Park Road and Fox Drive.
- Leaving from Downtown take the LRT Southbound to the South Campus LRT Station and transfer to a Route 4 (displaying WEM or West Edmonton Mall) going to Fort Edmonton Park Road and Fox Drive.
- If visiting between the May long weekend and September long weekend you can take the Fort Edmonton/Valley Zoo Shuttle. The shuttle only runs only on Sundays and holidays from May to September. Route 596 travels on an hourly schedule between the South Campus Transit Centre, Fort Edmonton Park (includes the John Janzen Nature Centre) and the Valley Zoo.
John Walter Museum - Historic Site (beside Kinsmen Sports Centre)
Located by the Kinsmen Sports Centre at the bottom of Walterdale and Queen Elizabeth Roads.
Three original homes of early Edmonton entrepreneur John Walter are on display, featuring a number of free Sunday activities such as pot-pourri making, soap series, paper making and story squares.
- Leaving from Downtown take the Route 9 (displaying Southgate) Southbound on 101 Street and 102 Avenue, Bus Stop #1243 to 109 Street and 82 Avenue. Cross 109 Street and head back Northbound on Route 9 (displaying Northgate). The bus will take you down Walterdale Hill stopping across from the Kinsmen Sports Centre.
- Leaving from Southgate Transit Centre, take the Route 9 (displaying Northgate).
Royal Alberta Museum
Located at 12845 – 102 Avenue
The Royal Alberta Museum, one of Canada's most popular museums, offers a range of exhibitions and activities for every age level and interest.