New Kingsway/RAH Transit Centre
Edmonton Transit is pleased to announce that the new Kingsway/Royal Alex Transit Centre will open for service starting Sunday, June 29, 2014.
The new facility is located next to the Kingsway/Royal Alex LRT Station, one of three new Metro Line stations that are scheduled to open by the end of 2014.
The new transit centre will link bus and LRT service, and will be closer to many major destinations in the area, including the Central McDougall community, the Centre for Education, the Royal Alex Hospital, the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital and the Victoria School for the Arts.
The Kingsway/Royal Alex Transit Centre will serve:
- Edmonton Transit customers travelling between destinations in
- Metro LRT Line passengers
- Residents of surrounding neighbourhoods
- Royal Alexandra and Glenrose hospital patients, staff and visitors
- Kingsway Mall businesses and patrons
- Businesses and patrons along Kingsway
- Victoria School for the Arts students and staff
- Centre for Education staff and visitors
The old Kingsway Transit Centre, located at 111 Avenue and 106 Street, will be closed effective June 29, 2014. The building will be removed this summer and Kingsway Mall will take ownership of the land.
The new transit centre is designed to improve passenger safety, comfort and convenience.
- Public washrooms
- Retail kiosk
- Open sightlines, enhanced lighting and greater use of glass
- Larger central island
- Larger heated waiting area
- Covered open-air shelters at both ends of the central island
- Bus stop shelters around the perimeter of the transit centre
- Ramps to provide access for mobility aids
- Bicycle parking and direct connection to the City's bicycle network via the new
shared used path between MacEwan University and NAIT
- Direct signalized access to 111 Avenue
These routes will move to the new Kingsway/Royal Alex Transit Centre on June 29, 2014:
- 8 (Mill Woods TC – Abbottsfield)
- 9 (Southgate – Eaux Claires)
- 12 (Northgate – Downtown)
- 125 (Jasper Place – Downtown)
- 127 (Westmount – Belvedere)
- 130 (University – Northgate)
- 143 (Kingsway – Montrose)
- 309 (Oliver – Kingsway)
- St. Albert Transit routes 201 and 202
Route 15 will continue to serve the area, but will operate on 109 Street and Princess Elizabeth Avenue, along the west and north sides of Kingsway Mall.
For more information:
Contact ETS Customer Service Centre