Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) use new and emerging technology to reduce congestion, save money, improve safety and reduce environmental impacts in all areas of transportation.
These systems have several components including:
- Traffic sensors
- Electronic signs
- Communication technologies
Northlands Traffic Responsive System
The Northlands Traffic Responsive System actively monitors traffic patterns in the Northlands area 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and automatically applies the appropriate signal timing plans to improve traffic flow.
Video Traffic Management (VTM) and Traveller Information (TI) Project
Traffic cameras have been installed at strategic locations throughout the City to monitor current traffic conditions. The images from these cameras are monitored at the City's Traffic Management Centre and are available on Traffic Cameras.
Benefits along monitored corridors:
- Improve incident response
- Assist traffic management
- Efficient traffic flows
- Provide public with a view of current traffic situations
- Assist commuters in choosing alternate routes or times of travel
Yellowhead Trail ITS Simulation Laboratory and Edmonton Showcase
The City has completed the concept and planning phase of the Yellowhead Trail ITS project and is awaiting funding for implementation. By combining the current intelligent traffic tools with the new computer system, traffic will be controlled more efficiently.
|Current Traffic Tools||New Technology|
Using Yellowhead Corridor as a Test Case
The Yellowhead Corridor is a major arterial roadway and main truck route through the City. It has the highest concentration of trucks and congestion for an arterial roadway that is not a freeway. Intelligent traffic tools have been in place for a few years making it easier to merge with the new software.
- Faster commute time.
- Better information when there is a problem.
- Real time updated information.
- Information will also be available to private sector and public to make use of it to develop applications.
- Inexpensive solution compared to building overpasses.
For more information:
1500 Century Place
9803 - 102A Avenue