Walking in Edmonton
Whether using a neighbourhood sidewalk, river valley trail or downtown pedway, most residents incorporate walking as part of their daily activities. Pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods support walking as a practical transportation option by providing direct, well connected and safe routes. When residents use local pathways and sidewalks, they contribute to a safe, vibrant and livable community.
For business or recreation purposes, walking is a sustainable travel mode that offers health benefits and potential cost savings. It also provides an efficient and accessible link between other travel modes including transit, cycling and driving.
The City of Edmonton encourages citizens to choose walking because it:
- Provides free and easily accessible transportation
- Sparks community vitality and improves quality of life
- Minimizes resource consumption, and greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduces the impacts on other travellers and the transportation system
- Fosters health, fitness, social interaction, and relaxation
For more information: