Cycling in Edmonton
On-Street Bike Routes 2013
The City is installing new bike routes in 2013. You can view the plans and presentation on the current projects page.
Plans for on-street bike routes on 76 Avenue, 121 Avenue, and 132 Avenue have been deferred.
March 13, 2013 - City Council Meeting Presentation
February On-Street Bike Routes Meetings
Two meetings were held in February to share and discuss the 2013 on-street bike route plans.
Bike Facility Expansion Map 2013
The Bike facility expansion map shows how the proposed routes tie into the existing network.
A Cycle-Friendly City
The City of Edmonton is committed to enhancing the quality and accessibility of active transportation in Edmonton. The Bicycle Transportation Plan and the Transportation Master Plan seek to shift Edmonton's transportation modes towards sustainable options like cycling.
Cycling is an active transportation option that helps:
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Preserve Edmonton's road infrastructure
- Protect the environment
One Road - Safety for Cyclists & Motorists
Bicycles are permitted on any road in Edmonton. Cycle-friendly facilities, such as bicycle lanes and shared-use lanes, are specially designed to support safe and efficient bicycle transportation.
Facts and Statistics
- 275 km of shared-used paths and sidewalks
- 460 km of unpaved single track and unimproved trails
- 117 km of signed only street oriented bicycle facilities
- Bicycle allowed on the LRT and on certain bus routes with special racks
Bicycle Plan Update
- 34 km of bicycle lanes and shared-use lanes
- 9 km of bus, bike, and taxi lanes
- 5 km of contra-flow bicycle lanes
- 30 km of existing shared-use sidewalks and paths which align with the bicycle plan
- 76 km of 489 km have been completed (15%)
The City works to build and maintain Edmonton's extensive network of bike paths/lanes, shared sidewalks and multi-use trails to provide a safe transportation system for cyclists, year-round.
Call 311 for questions or concerns about:
- Broken glass
- Roadway/trail maintenance
- Trail closures
- Parkland issues
For more information:
13th Floor, Century Place
9803 – 102A Avenue