What is Wireless Edmonton?
Similar to WiFi hotspot services provided by many business establishments such as cafés, restaurants, and gyms, Wireless Edmonton is a free public WiFi Internet access service provided courtesy of the City of Edmonton to patrons of some of the City’s publicly accessible facilities. Look for the new Wireless Edmonton logo at City facilities equipped with this wifi hotspot service.
Did You Know? Currently more than 3,700 devices connect to Wireless Edmonton every week, resulting in more than 50GB of data traffic. The service also routinely accepts over 1,900 concurrent sessions during peak periods daily.
How do I Access the Wireless Edmonton Service?
Mobile device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) users visiting a Wireless Edmonton enabled City facility must first find and select the Wireless Edmonton network using their mobile device’s setting menu. When users open the browser on their mobile device, they will be prompted to accept the “Conditions of Use” before being granted access to the service.
Given this is a publicly accessible service, users should note that:
- To ensure the service remains available to a maximum number of active users, there is a 12-hour connection timeout.
- It’s not a secure network connection and caution should be exercised when conducting confidential or business transactions, such as online banking, in order to avoid any potential security breach of information.
- Filtering has been applied to block access to inappropriate web sites that contain Child Abuse Content, Extreme Content, Filter Avoidance, Gambling Content, Hate Speech Content, Non-sexual Nudity Content and Pornographic Content.
- Web Browsing (HTTP and HTTPS), E-mail client access (IMAP4, POP3, MSA, etc...) and Apple Push Notification Service traffic is permitted.
- “Peer to Peer” program (BitTorrent, KaZaa, Gnutella and Morpheus) traffic is not permitted.
- The City of Edmonton does not provide mobile devices for public use.
For additional information on the service, please see our FAQs.
Wireless Edmonton Hotspot Locations
Wireless Edmonton WiFi hotspots are available in the following 22 publicly accessible City facilities with plans to expand to additional locations in the future.
Service and Support Commitment
The City of Edmonton is committed to ensuring Wireless Edmonton remains a reliable, sustainable and supported service. As of December 1st, 2012, patrons visiting City facilities equipped with the Wireless Edmonton service can expect to receive free wifi internet access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (excluding scheduled maintenance windows which will be published and updated regularly on the City’s web site).
In the event of service availability issues, facility patrons should contact the appropriate facility staff to report the service outage. IT support staff will respond to the reported outage during regular business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays) and aim to have the issue resolved within 4 hours.
Please note: Mobile devices themselves are not supported, unless they are City of Edmonton owned devices.
For more information: