Housing and Economic Sustainability researches and develops city policy, plans, and strategies on housing, raises awareness on housing and homelessness issues and assists with creating and maintaining the supply of lower income housing in Edmonton. They work with individuals, community-based groups, other civic departments, other orders of government, and the development industry, in responding to housing and related service needs.
- advocating for the provision of housing and related services for people in need
- providing capital funds for affordable housing
- providing information, education and dispute services on landlord and tenant issues through LTAB (Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board)
- overseeing management of the City’s housing inventory by non-profit housing agencies (Capital Region Housing Corporation, homeEd, and the Greater Edmonton Foundation)
- ensuring the maintenance of healthy and safe older, multi-suite residential buildings
- responding to concerns with vacant and derelict buildings
Cornerstones plans to increase the number of long term affordable housing units and advocate for increases in income supports and funding for lower income Edmontonians in need of housing.
The First-time Homebuyers Program is giving first-time homebuyers a break by transforming 20 surplus and vacant school sites in established city neighbourhoods into potential locations for new townhomes.
Get answers to frequently asked questions about homeEd, a program that provides affordable rental units including apartments and townhouses throughout Edmonton. A property list and property descriptions are also available.
Low-income & Special Needs Housing
Programs to help address Edmonton’s housing gap of approximately 7000 emergency, transitional, and long-term housing units and approximately 20,000 affordable housing units.
Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board
A program that offers information and workshops for tenants, landlords, property managers and outreach workers.
For more information:
Housing and Economic Sustainability
11th Floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 3P4
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311