Found a Lost Pet?
If you have found a lost or stray animal, there are a few ways to return the animal to its owner:
- If the pet has a City of Edmonton licence tag, call 311 to be connected with Animal Care & Control. If the owner has consented, you can get the owner's name and address from us and contact them directly.
- Bring the pet to the Animal Care & Control Centre and the City will look for the owner.
- If it is a dog, an Animal Care & Control Officer can come and pick it up. If the dog is aggressive, it is best to call 311 and wait for an officer instead of trying to capture the animal yourself.
- If the animal is injured after hours, take it to the
Edmonton Veterinarians Emergency Clinic at 11104-102 Avenue. An Animal Care & Control Officer will pick it up the next day.
If you would like to adopt the animal, be sure to ask for “special consideration” when reporting it or turning it over to the City. If the owner does not reclaim the animal and it is adoptable, you will be considered first for adoption.
Lost a Pet?
If you have lost a pet, follow these steps:
- Immediately look around your neighbourhood.
- Log in to PetLynx and create a lost pet report. This program will match your lost pet report with found pet reports from all over the province. All pets in the Animal Services Facility are entered in to PetLynx, so be sure to check it daily for new found pet reports.
- Visit the Animal Care & Control Centre to see if your pet has been turned in.
- After hours, call the Edmonton Veterinarians Emergency Clinic to see if they have your pet.
- Check online to make sure that the contact information associated with your pet’s licence is correct. If your pet is licensed and wearing tags, Animal Care & Control will contact you if your pet is found.
The Animal Care & Control Centre holds all pets for a minimum of 3 business days, so be sure to check back regularly.
City Has Your Pet?
If your pet is in the Animal Care & Control Centre, you may have to pay some fees and fines.
Licensed pets are entitled to one free ride home every 12 months. This means you can reclaim your pet without any fines. If an Animal Care & Control Officer finds your pet, they will bring it to you.
If your pet stays in the Animal Care & Control Centre, kennel fees of $25 for the first day and $15 for each day thereafter apply. For any veterinary treatment, including drugs and medicines, you will be billed the actual cost of the treatment.
If your pet came to the City from the Edmonton Veterinarians Emergency Clinic, there is a $60 fee for the examination, treatment and care provided by the clinic.
If your pet was found at-large, a $100 fine may apply. If your pet is not licensed, a $250 fine will apply.
For more information:
Animal Care & Control Centre
13550 - 163 Street
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311