Great Neighbourhoods is working to improve the livability of Edmonton's neighbourhoods and the lives of the people who live, work, and visit in them.
Great neighbourhoods are the building blocks of a great city.
The City of Edmonton is
- Investing in the physical and social infrastructure of Edmonton neighbourhoods to create vibrant sustainable great neighbourhoods.
- Building community capacity by working with residents and supporting their efforts to create the place they want their neighbourhoods to be.
- Coordinating City services and improving collaboration with other organizations and among City departments to deliver services in neighbourhoods more efficiently.
It takes the commitment of residents, all orders of government and organizations to create and sustain great neighbourhoods.
What makes a neighbourhood great for one resident may be different than for another. However, most people agree great neighbourhoods have the following qualities:
- Well-maintained infrastructure
- Interesting and accessible amenities
- Safe, clean and pedestrian-friendly environment
- Residents who support each other and work with government and other organizations to make their neighbourhood the place they want it to be.
Edmonton neighbourhoods have different needs. Some are stable, some face change and some are in distress. The City provides neighbourhood programs, services and investments that respond to those needs. The objective is that all neighbourhoods have the potential to remain or become places that support a good quality of life for residents.
The City of Edmonton is building a great city one great neighbourhood at a time.
Great Neighbourhoods is administered through the Great Neighbourhoods Section, and will build on the strengths and assets of our neighbourhoods.
A Great Neighbourhoods Steering Committee with representatives from every City department, along with Edmonton Public Libraries and the Edmonton Police Service oversees the initiative.
For more information:
Great Neighbourhoods Section
2nd Floor, Beaufort Building
10835 120 Street