Household Hazardous Waste Examples
Please help protect the environment
Take your household hazardous waste to an Eco Station free of charge. See below for some examples of household hazardous waste materials.
- Motor oil (max container size - 20 litres.), oil filters, and containers
- Car batteries, antifreeze, gas, diesel, and containers
- All automotive fluids, rust remover (max container size - 20 litres)
Corrosive / Poisonous Cleaners
- Bleach, drain, toilet, oven cleaners, spot removers etc.
Lawn & Garden
- Herbicide, pesticide, fertilizer, etc.
- All light bulbs, fluorescent tubes/ballasts, lighting fixtures
- Aerosol cans (full or partially full)
- Batteries (all kinds) - for a listing of retailers who accept rechargeable batteries for recycling contact RBRC
- Caulking, cement powder
- Fire extinguishers, propane tanks or bottles (max 20 lbs)
- Smoke detectors
- Needles and syringes (packaged in a screw-top plastic bottle like a bleach or vinegar bottle)
- Photo chemicals and glues
- Railway ties (charges apply )
Paints and Stains
- Paint and stain (full or empty cans-including aerosols - max container size - 20 litres. )
Appliances & Scrap Metals
- Computer equipment, monitors, keyboards, hard drives
- Toasters, blenders, waffle irons, etc.
- Phones, fax machines, answering machines, etc.
- TVs, tape recorders, video camera, VCRs, turntables, personal stereos, slide projectors, cameras, speakers, etc.
- Power tools, vacuum cleaners, floor polishers. etc.
- BBQs, lawnmowers, car parts, etc.
- Washers, dryers, dishwashers, microwave ovens, etc.
- Fridges, freezers, air conditioners (charges apply for CFC removal)
Eco Stations cannot accept:
- Commercial hazardous waste
- Commercial biomedical waste
- Expired medications
- Radioactive waste
- Pressurized gases
For more information:
Eco Station Addresses:
Strathcona: 5150-99 Street - Enter on 99 Street only
Coronation: 11440-143 Street
Ambleside: 14710 Ellerslie Road SW
Winter - November 23, 2010 to March 26, 2011
9am to 4:30pm, Tuesday - Saturday
Closed Sunday, Monday and statutory holidays
Summer - March 28, 2011 to November 19, 2011
9am to 6:30pm, Monday - Saturday
Closed Sunday and statutory holidays