Dispatchers work in a fast-paced environment to evaluate emergency calls and determine required dispatch units. They obtain crucial information, provide immediate instructions to callers and provide ongoing information and communications support to Emergency Services staff.
If you would like to be a dispatcher, please follow the steps below to apply:
- Ensure you have the correct qualifications for dispatcher.
- Visit the city's job postings to ensure Emergency Services is currently recruiting dispatchers. If dispatcher positions are posted, follow the posting steps to apply.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
- A current emergency medical dispatcher certificate (http://www.emergencydispatch.org/).
- Certification in an emergency response communication program from a recognized post-secondary institution, or two years experience in a major dispatch centre, or an equivalent education and experience combination. For information on the dispatch program in Edmonton go to www.macewan.ca/emergency.
- The ability to provide timely, accurate and professional customer-orientated team-work services while multi-tasking in a high-volume work environment.
- The ability to demonstrate general knowledge of street and road systems in Edmonton and display ability to work with and interpret street maps.
- The ability to operate the computer-aided dispatch system and related interface systems in a fast-paced work environment.
Emergency Response Human Resources
City of Edmonton
3rd Floor, 10351 96 ST
Edmonton AB T5H 2H5