River Valley Park System - Wayfinding Signs for Parks and Trails
The City of Edmonton has developed a new wayfinding sign program. These new signs will help visitors find their way around Edmonton's river valley park and trail system. The new wayfinding program includes signs to identify parks and buildings, provide directions and information, as well as interpretive and regulatory signs.
We want to hear from you!
The City has recently installed the first set of signs in Gold Bar Park. This pilot project now needs to be evaluated and we want to hear from you. We welcome you to visit Gold Bark Park (10955 50 Street NW) to take a look at the new signs and to complete the .
If you are unable to go to the park, your feedback is still appreciated. Photos provided in the survey will allow you to view the signs and answer the questions. Your feedback will help inform the project team before signs are installed throughout the rest of the river valley.
The survey closes on July 22, 2016.
Consultant secured to take the project from concept to construction
Consultants worked with key stakeholders (internal & external) to develop a sign look that met all the established criteria
Review of sign plan for Gold Bar Park & trails; Finalize sign content; Issue RFP to select sign fabricator to build and install signs
Updated sign plan completed; Sign fabricator selected; Installation of signs in Gold Bar Park
River valley wayfinding pilot project sign installation completed and evaluated ; Begin installing in other river valley parks
This city-wide initiative addresses the growing need for a standard signage program in the river valley to:
- create consistent, thoughtful and accessible design for wayfinding signs to enhance that river valley
- include signs that provide trail users with directions, regulatory information and alerts, trailhead markers, park maps, and interpretive and special event information
- develop signs that are legible, informative, easy to install, cost effective and easy to maintain
The three end products for the project are:
- A guideline package that will provide the specifics for sign production and installation
- A step-by-step checklist to guide park planners in developing a park and trail sign plan
- Application of the sign package to Gold Bar Park and trails
Concept & Design
Stakeholders were consulted on the concept and design from the start of the project. They included City staff who work in the river valley, as well as, a wide range of external groups that use the river valley on a regular basis.
A sign fabricator was selected through a request for proposal in early 2015. The fabricator produced, constructed and installed the signs in Gold Bar Park in late 2015/early 2016.
After a final evaluation of the first set of signs, other projects in the river valley will follow using this established template.
For More Information
Program & Project Development
PO Box 2359
12th Floor CN Tower
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311