River Valley Park System - Wayfinding Signs for Parks & Trails
The River Valley Park System is getting a facelift with new wayfinding signs! These signs will assist park and trail users to find their way around. Sign information will also give users a good understanding of the park system’s rules and guidelines.
Concept & Design
This project was initiated to address the growing need for a unified signage program in the River Valley Park System. The objectives were:
- To create a standard coherent, thoughtful and accessible design for wayfinding signs that will enhance the River Valley
- To include signs that will provide trail users with directions, regulatory information & alerts, trail head maps, park orientation maps, interpretive information, special event information
- To develop signs that are legible, informative, easy to install, cost effective, easy to maintain
The three end products for the project are:
- A guideline package that will provide the specifics for sign production and installation
- A step-by-step checklist to guide park planners in developing a park and trail sign plan
- Application of the sign package to Gold Bar Park and trails
Concept & Design
The first phase, the development of the sign design, was vetted through key internal and external stakeholder groups identified at the onset of the project. They included City staff who work in the river valley or have sign requirements to share information, as well as, a wide range of external groups that use the river valley system on a regular basis.
The second phase, the application of the signs in a park and trail system, was reviewed by internal staff groups, external key stakeholders and the general public.
The final review of the signs will occur in fall 2015 once signs are installed.
A sign fabricator was selected through an RFP in early 2015. The fabricator will move the signs from drawings to construction and installation in Gold Bar Park. Installation of these signs is projected for late August 2015.
After a final evaluation of the first set of signs in fall 2015, other projects in the river valley will follow using this established template.
For More Information
Program & Project Development
PO Box 2359
12th Floor CN Tower
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311