William Hawrelak Park - Current and Proposed Projects
Construction and maintenance projects will be undertaken throughout William Hawrelak Park in 2014. Each project is subject to the weather and availability of the contractor, equipment, and material.
The following is a list of projects park users can expect:
- ITU Triathlon lake deepening/liner repair and re-filling
- Landscape restoration around the lake
- Vendor pad rehabilitation and upgrades at the amphitheatre
- Ring road asphalt repairs
- Construction of Water Play Feature
Please Note - All project timelines are subject to change due to:
- Weather (prior to start date and/or during construction)
- Availability of contractor and/or equipment and/or material to do more than one project concurrently
|July 2014||Lake re-filling and landscape restoration approaching completion (weather dependant)|
|Complete||Lake bottom deepening/liner repair|
|Complete||Lake drain repair|
|Summer 2014||Asphalt repairs (weather dependant)|
|Fall 2014||Renewal of vendor pads and installation of wind screens (weather dependant)|
Water Play Feature
|Water Play Feature|
|Fall 2014||Construction begins on the spray deck, wading pool, and washroom facility (weather dependant)|
|Late Summer 2016||Anticipated opening of Water play feature|
On June 11, 2013 City Council approved funding for the design and construction of a water play feature in William Hawrelak Park. It will be located near the existing playground and will feature a spray deck and a shallow wading pool. Picnic tables, pathways, and washrooms are also included in the project. Construction is anticipated to begin fall of 2014 and open for public use in late-summer 2016 and will cost $2.9 M ($2.1 Water Play / $800 K Washrooms).
Park Amenity Access for 2014
- Areas of the road and/or curb may be fenced off during construction.
- Pedestrians and/or vehicle traffic may be re-directed during construction projects.
- Areas in the field adjacent to the playground will not be available to park users during construction of the Water Play Feature.
- Pavilion adjacent to lake will remain open.
|2015||Proposed construction start of EFCL 100th Anniversary Project (subject to funding)|
|2017||Proposed construction completion of EFCL 100th Anniversary Project|
The following project is proposed for William Hawrelak Park:
Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues 100th Anniversary Project
A 5,200 sq. ft. plaza that incorporates benches, tables, planters, presentation space and boardwalks surrounding the plaza is included in the plan. This will become a gathering place for park visitors near the footbridge at the southeast corner of the park’s lake. Additionally, a trail network next to the stream will be restored, adjacent to the proposed plaza on the southeast side. The trail will include benches, decorative bridges, and a boardwalk with interpretative signage alongside a small natural pond.
Please note that dates are subject to change
For more information:
Park & Facility Development
PO Box 2359
12th Floor CN Tower
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311