William Hawrelak Park - Current and Proposed Projects
Construction and maintenance projects will be undertaken throughout William Hawrelak Park in 2014. Each project is subject to the weather and availability of the contractor, equipment, and material.
The following is a list of projects park users can expect:
- ITU Triathlon lake deepening/liner repair and re-filling
- Landscape restoration around the lake
- Amphitheatre roof replacement
- Vendor pad rehabilitation and upgrades
- Ring road asphalt repairs
- Park Pavilion skate tile repairs
- Construction of Water Play Feature
Please Note - All project timelines are subject to change due to:
- Weather (prior to start date and/or during construction)
- Availability of contractor and/or equipment and/or material to do more than one project concurrently
|April 2014||Lake bottom deepening/liner repair construction resumes (weather dependant)|
|Late June 2014||Refill the lake and restore landscape (weather dependant)|
|Complete||Lake drain repair|
|Spring-Summer 2014||Asphalt repairs (weather dependant)|
|Spring-Summer 2014||Repair and replacement of skate tiles around Pavilion (weather dependant)|
|Spring-Summer 2014||Construction takes place on the Amphitheatre roof and vendor pads (weather dependant)|
|Water Play Features|
|Fall 2014||Construction begins on the spray deck, wading pool and washroom facility (weather dependant)|
Water Play Feature
On June 11, 2013 City Council approved $2.1 million to design and construct a water play feature at Hawrelak Park. It will be located near the existing playground and will feature a spray deck and a shallow wading pool. Picnic tables, pathways and washrooms are also included in the project. Construction is anticipated to begin fall of 2014 and open for public use in spring 2016.
Park Amenity Access for 2014
- Areas of the road and/or curb may be fenced off during construction.
- Pedestrians and/or vehicle traffic may be re-directed during construction projects.
- The amphitheatre and the adjacent parking lot will not be available to park users during roof and vendor pad replacement.
- Areas in the field adjacent to the playground will not be available to park users during construction of the Water Play Feature.
- Pavilion adjacent to lake will remain open.
|2021||Proposed construction completed for EFCL path, boardwalk and stream upgrades (Phase II)|
|2016||Proposed construction completed for EFCL Plaza (Phase I)|
|Complete||Report back to council regarding proposed water play feature|
|Complete||Proposed water play feature - feedback survey available online|
|Complete||Open House event|
The following are the proposed projects for William Hawrelak Park:
Proposed Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues Project
Phase I: This 5,200 sq. ft. plaza will be a gathering place for park visitors near the footbridge at the southeast corner of the park's main lake. Also included in Phase I is a deck that would incorporate benches, tables, planters, presentation space and boardwalks surrounding the plaza. In addition, an open sided shade/rain structure conveying imagery of a typical 'house/home' will be incorporated as part of this phase.
Phase II proposes a trail network next to the stream, to be restored, adjacent to the proposed plaza (Phase I project) on the southeast side. The trail will include benches, decorative bridges, and a boardwalk with interpretative signage alongside a small natural pond. The stream is intended to be developed as an interactive opportunity for families and children.
Please note that dates are subject to change
For more information:
Park & Facility Development
PO Box 2359
12th Floor CN Tower
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311