City of Edmonton keeps “IT” local
October 18, 2011
The City of Edmonton is partnering with a locally based company to host its new data centre. ATCO I-Tek, an Edmonton-headquartered company specializing in managed data centre services, was awarded the three-year contract, with a renewal option for up to ten years, based on their proven abilities.
“The City is excited to have the opportunity to use local technical expertise to help achieve its business goals,” says Chris Moore, Chief Information Officer for the City of Edmonton. “ATCO I-Tek’s diverse suite of services, and proven processes and controls provide a secure, reliable and fiscally responsible solution to the City’s future data storage and processing needs.”
The City is reaching capacity at its primary data facility (space, cooling, power, etc.) and has three aging satellite data facilities, so the new data centre will enhance the delivery and increase the resiliency of critical citizen services such as Emergency Response Dispatch and the 311 call centre, at a reduced cost.
The new facility meets or exceeds the criteria of both the City and the IT industry for exceptional data centre services, such as:
- Site security– data centre access is centrally monitored, controlled and audited
- Managed services - consolidated monitoring system of all environmental/climate, mechanical, electrical, and fire/water detection systems with paging and 24x7x365 support by experienced IT facilities staff
- Capacity requirements - highly-scaleable and flexible to keep pace with growing and changing needs
- Facility service delivery and availability - 99.9% up-time
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliancy- allows for the safe processing and storage of credit card/bank data
- Sound, efficient procedures for facility instance notification and escalation, and;
- Disaster protection - multi-zone fire detection with gaseous and water suppression systems
“We’re very pleased to be selected by the City of Edmonton through this competitive process,” says Scott Garvey, President, ATCO I-Tek. “Our expertise, commitment and track record of professional business to business data management services will provide the City of Edmonton with the security and reliability it needs and expects.”
For more information: