Calgary Trail and Gateway Blvd Traffic Ramps Up at 23 Ave
May 05, 2011
Final phase of interchange begins
The 23 Avenue Interchange Project is entering the last major phase of its construction to move traffic more efficiently and safely through the area.
After 10pm on Friday, May 13, the City of Edmonton will close Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard, north and south of the 23 Avenue Interchange, until construction is completed in September 2011. During this time, traffic will be shifted over the interchange, via the southbound ramps for Calgary Trail and via the northbound ramps for Gateway Boulevard.
“By moving the traffic up over top of where the paving is taking place, we will be able to get the work on Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard done as quickly and safely as possible, while still maintaining the north/south flow of traffic through the corridor,” says Byron Nicholson, Director of Special Projects, Roads Design and Construction, Capital Construction.
Motorists should be aware that starting on May 13 after 10pm:
- Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard will be closed on ground level north and south of the 23 Avenue Interchange.
- Throughout this time, traffic will be shifted over the interchange, via:
- the southbound ramps for Calgary Trail, and
- the northbound ramps for Gateway Boulevard
- Traffic over the ramps will be directed through traffic signals, but there will be four lanes available in each direction: two dedicated through lanes, one dedicated left turn lane, and one through/left turn lane.
- Traffic signal timing will be adjusted to improve traffic flow through the area.
- To access South Edmonton Common from Calgary Trail, you must use the 23 Avenue Interchange Southbound Ramp and continue onto 23 Avenue or onto the 19 Avenue overpass.
- Westbound and eastbound traffic movements across the 23 Avenue Interchange will not change.
- Northbound access from 23 Avenue to Gateway Boulevard and southbound access from 23 Avenue to Calgary Trail will not change.
- The closure on May 13 is weather dependent. Final landscaping work in and around the interchange will be completed in 2012.
For detailed traffic and construction information and business access maps motorists are encouraged to visit www.23avenue.com.
The City of Edmonton greatly appreciates and thanks drivers for their patience.
For more information:
|Online||Contact 311 Online|
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311