Recreation & Sports
Enhance Edmonton's Status as a Major Player
Whether you're into sports, art, drama, outdoor recreation, parks and nature, zoo activities, or almost any other sort of pleasant diversion, the City of Edmonton may offer an opportunity for you to enhance the quality of life for countless children and youth.
Coordinating everything from neighbourhood improvement programs to in-school presentations, our teams provide a wide variety of services to the public, as well as personal instruction, education and instruction at various recreation facilities across Edmonton.
Career Advancement Potential
Get paid to play!
Our teams have the opportunity to provide a variety of fun learning opportunities to Edmontonians in their neighborhoods. From working at the Edmonton valley zoo to teaching swimming lessons to youth, you can pursue various career paths at the City. In providing recreation and sports services to the public that are accessible and enjoyable, you can make a difference in developing Edmonton's youth.
- A Big Stage: working for a city as large and diverse as Edmonton allows you opportunities to expand your skills, try new career paths and learn from the best
- Innovative Equipment: working within modern facilities and with new technology, you will be able to take your skills to the highest level
- Comprehensive Training: you will have access to various career development tools and resources to help you learn, grow, and succeed
- Exceptional Teamwork: collaboration is how things are done. Everyone has your back when you're a part of our team and you'll have theirs as well
- Excellent Facilities: working for the City of Edmonton, you will have the opportunity to work out of our brand new and newly renovated up and coming recreation facilities
- Meaningful work: you'll have a major impact on the growth and development of Edmonton's youth as they learn about their own talents, interests and strengths.
What It Takes To Succeed
Do you have what it takes to be part of our team?
In order to provide excellent services within our recreation and sports programs, we look for a unique combination of skills and qualities in each of our professionals, including these:
- Enthusiasm for working with children and youth: our participants are depend on the programs we provide, so the ability to relate and work directly with youth is a must
- Safety-first attitude: working in a children/youth focused environment requires safety to be top priority at all times
- Creativity: a creative mindset will assist you when working with children to ensure they are engaged and continue to learn
- Team-oriented and Patient Attitude: lending a hand to support your team mates with their work makes the work environment very inviting and positive
- Passion for the Arts: your active lifestyle should include engagement and appreciation of recreational activities, the arts, sports, drama, the outdoors, or another subject you can teach to others
- Problem-solving Skills: being able to think on your feet and make quick decisions will enhance your ability to succeed
- Motivation and Enthusiasm: your passion and ability to produce work of a high quality while working independently will be important to your success.
Why our recreation and sports professionals enjoy their work
If you want to know the reasons why our team loves their work, we could give you quite a list. But we think that our people do a better job of it. So let's see what they have to say:
The work environment is professional, and the City is such a reputable employer. Plus, there is strong potential for career growth, and the pay and benefits are competitive. Employees are held to a high standard, and are supported along the way by upper management. Strong performance is rewarded.
— Stacey Leach, Recreation Technician II
The culture is fun, family-oriented, and satisfying. I feel empowered to get the job done, because I am given the resources and support I need.
— Karina Ma, Program Manager, River Valley Programs
One of the perks of working with the City is the opportunity for personal and professional growth. By working in a field that attracts like-minded people, I have gotten to know some of the best people I have ever met. The memories will last a lifetime.
— Megan Hunter, Recreation Technician II, Program Coordinator
Hear from our people, in their own words, what they do and why they enjoy working for the City.
For More Information
Call one of our employment assistants or visit our Digital Career Centre at City Hall.