Direct us to new heights
Imagine where your skills, experience and talent could lead the City of Edmonton. Take a position as a leader with us and join a high-caliber team of people who have spirit, vision, motivational skills and a drive to succeed. Together, we'll strive to enhance the City of Edmonton's reputation as an internationally recognized and award-winning municipality.
Our leadership principles guide our actions every day. A leader with the City of Edmonton is a visionary, credible and trusted role model who inspires and challenges others to achieve their full potential.
Career Advancement Potential
Our leadership strategy includes you
The City of Edmonton is dedicated to supporting our leaders in their pursuit of continuous improvement and professional advancement. Our leadership strategy encourages success and includes the following programs:
Leadership Development Program
Professionals at the director level and above can enhance their most important skills through our unique leadership development program. Combining comprehensive coursework and personal instruction to create a powerful educational experience, this program is designed to:
- Promote the achievement of optimal results
- Improve leadership skills
- Encourage positive response to organizational change
- Develop top performers.
Leadership Speakers Series
Our leaders gather to share ideas, learn and offer input on issues facing the City on a semi-annual basis. General managers, branch managers and directors from all departments are encouraged to attend. Topics include:
- Understanding corporate opportunities related to each topic
- Impact upon management of operations
- Implications of the subject matter and its effects upon other professionals, including the need for change
- Lessons learned from other organizations
- A better understanding of senior management team goals.
Leadership Exchange Forum
Five times a year, our leadership exchange forum brings members of our extended leadership team together, including branch managers, general managers and our city manager. The objectives include:
- Exploration of leadership themes
- Communication and promotion of the priorities of the senior management team
- Sharing the city manager's expectations with the senior management team
- Sharing the extended leadership team's successes and ideas.
Harvard ManageMentor 10
In order to provide our Leadership team with every available resource, the City of Edmonton offers access to Harvard ManageMentor 10, which is based on input from the Harvard School of Business. This online, interactive mentoring site and learning tool is designed to help our Leaders:
- Develop management skills and immediately apply them
- Gain access to key management topics
- Gather knowledge from world-renowned experts, practitioners and business leaders
- Supplement traditional leadership-development activities with a flexible, online option. The modules link to our most relevant leadership and supervisory competencies.
What It Takes To Succeed
Excellent traits lead to excellent results
City of Edmonton leaders come from all walks of life, but have a lot in common. Our leaders are:
- Personable: a progressive outlook for planning and building a great City while keeping the big picture in mind
- Inspirational: to their teams, colleagues and the community
- Mindful: of the needs of Edmontonians with every action they take
- Managers: who direct projects that enhance the experience of all residents and visitors.
The skills and competencies that define leadership
Our leaders at all levels are expected to be experts at managing people and operations. In order to achieve results and maintain continual improvement, we expect our leaders to:
- Set direction and align resources
- Grow and retain talent
- Create a high-performance climate
- Achieve results
- Lead change
- Build influential business relationships
- Encourage effective communication
- Utilize strategic thinking, planning and organizing
- Use operations-management abilities
- Demonstrate technical and functional expertise.
What we do and why we enjoy it
Taking a leadership role with the City of Edmonton is an experience you will find very rewarding. Here's what our leaders had to say about their experiences with the City.
The City of Edmonton values and expects forward thinking and innovative ideas. It's an organization that encourages responsible risk-taking and that supports and stands behind its employees. While it may be viewed as a large organization, there is a sense of community that I believe is the result of our shared passion for public service.
Linda Cochrane, Acting City Manager
The City promotes the importance of work/life balance. This is expressed in a number of ways, including the health and wellness programs offered and the Earned Day Off program. In addition to this organizational culture, a similar and more informal culture exists among the staff and encourages close-knit working groups that not only work together, but play together.
— John Wilson, Corporate Culture Lead
Most rewarding about my career with the City of Edmonton is that I was given an opportunity to demonstrate my abilities in an environment that encourages and recognizes good work, commitment to detail and innovation. In many organizations, an individual can check in and check out. Success here means actively engaging in the work, immersing yourself in the culture and strengthening your capacity for excellence. If you're willing to work hard, there is always opportunity for you here.
— Ian Howatt, Director
For More Information
Call one of our employment assistants or visit our Digital Career Centre at City Hall.