Job Seekers FAQ
If you cannot find the answer to your question from the Job Seekers FAQ, please complete a Recruitment Inquiry form and we will respond to your inquiry within two business days, or you may also contact the employment office at 780-496-7872 or 780-496-7831.
Applying for Jobs
Applications or resumes for posted positions can be submitted:
All City of Edmonton vacancies (excluding Police Officers) are posted online. To apply online; review current job opportunities; locate the position you want to apply for; and/or create a general profile; visit www.edmonton.ca/careers
Applications drop off box at the Employment Opportunities counter, Main Floor, City Hall. Please complete the acknowledgement form and fax it along with your resume to our Employment office.
By Mail - Please complete the acknowledgement form and fax it along with your resume to our Employment office.
City of Edmonton
Main Floor, City Hall
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7
We are unable to accept applications after the position has been closed. We encourage you to create an on-line general profile so that your information is entered into the City of Edmonton's candidate pool for future opportunities and consideration.
- From the careers page, specify your job search criteria and then select the job posting you would like to apply to. Click "Apply online. "
- Select "Continue" after reading the acknowledgement statement
- Select "New User," and create a username and password for yourself, and enter your email address. The password you create will allow you to access your profile in our database at any time
- You will be asked to enter personal information (name, address, phone number, etc. )
- You will have the option to cut and paste, or upload your resume
- You will be prompted to complete a job specific questionnaire and complete information on education, experience and certificates
- Once you submit your online application, you will now be eligible for consideration for this career opportunity
Every employment opportunity has a closing date indicated on the job posting, and your application must be received by the closing date for that particular competition. Any applications or resumes received after the closing date will not be considered. When submitting your application or resume, be sure to indicate the job requisition number.
Edmonton Fire Rescue Services
Visit the Edmonton Fire Rescue Services website for more information on firefighter recruitment
Edmonton Police Services
Please visit the Edmonton Police Services website for more Police Officer recruitment information
No. You only need to submit a resume or an application. However, if you are submitting a resume you must complete and submit the Acknowledgement Form and send it along with your resume.
The email address is used as a unique identifier, so two people can't use the same email address to apply. We suggest one person obtains a new email address from a free service like Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail.
- Filling in the online application is a very effective way of quickly getting your information and resume to the right people within the City of Edmonton
- You are required to answer job-related questions for all online postings and these questions can ONLY be answered online
- The process is quick and simple
- You can update your profile at any time so that your information is most up-to-date
- You can track the progress of your application at any time
If you apply for a City job by an alternate method other than our online-recruiting system, you must provide the following three documents:
- Your resume/ application
- Answers to screening questions related to the position
- A signed Acknowledgement Statement
Once you submit your resume, screening questions and an Acknowledgement Statement will be forwarded to you for completion. Although you can apply through other methods, you are encouraged to apply online so that these required documents can be completed immediately.
The following locations provide public Internet access:
- Edmonton Public Libraries
- Provincial Government Alberta Service Centres
- Métis Employment Services, 3rd Floor, 12308 - 111 Avenue, Edmonton, Phone: 780-423-2237
- Oteenow Employment & Training Society, Clairview Plaza, 14021 Victoria Trail, Edmonton, Phone: 780-423-2340
You may also visit any of the following Alberta Employment & Immigration offices located in Edmonton:
- Edmonton City Center, 10242 – 105th Street
- Edmonton East, 2000 – 9499 137 Avenue NW (Northgate Shopping Center)
- Edmonton West, 120, 15710 – 87 Avenue NW (Meadowlark Shopping Center)
- Edmonton West, 200 Westcor Building, 12323 Stony Plain Road
- Edmonton South, 6325 Gateway Boulevard NW
Every competition is considered separately. The number of positions you apply for does not increase your opportunity for being hired. We encourage all interested applicants to apply for positions for which they qualify. Every application will be given equal consideration in the hiring process.
See Job Seekers – Tips for Applying
- The City of Edmonton is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and we hire and conduct our business accordingly.
- We strive to maintain a diverse workplace and find the best-qualified job candidates: those who possess the required education, experience, knowledge, abilities, suitability, and when appropriate, residency and seniority.
- We promote excellence at all levels of our organization. Race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or any other factors unrelated to job performance do not influence our decisions when hiring employees.
Yes. Watch for seasonal and summer job postings in February, March, and April. Visit our website to view current openings and apply as you would for any other posting.
- Yes. If any formal education was completed outside Canada, indicate on your resume if it has been evaluated for equivalency, and if so, by whom it was assessed.
- Any foreign education must be formally assessed as equivalent to Canadian education prior to an interview being conducted.
- For information visit the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) website.
Volunteer work related to the position applied for is also recognized as being a valuable addition to an applicants work history. Relevant volunteer work should be included on the resume or application form.
Some employment competitions will note that a security clearance will be required. Having a criminal record does not exclude you from all employment opportunities with The City of Edmonton. When your application is reviewed, the nature of the offense, when the offense took place, and the relevance of the offense to the position for which you are applying are considered. This information is handled in a confidential manner and candidate honesty is paramount. Failure to fully inform the City may result in forfeiture of your rights to employment with the City.
If you are required to take further testing, it will be indicated on the job posting.
Download the Job Application Form
Print the Job Application Form and mail or deliver it to the Employment Opportunities counter located at City Hall. Remember to include a signed Acknowledgement Form with all paper applications.
You can fax your resume to 780-496-8063. Please complete the Acknowledgement Form and fax it along with your resume to our Employment office.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are unable to respond to specific inquiries regarding the status of your application. To check the status, view "My Jobpage" from the careers page and log in using your username and password. You can view your submission status or select "View email messages" to read any communications sent to you.
- You will receive an automated notification confirming the receipt of your application.
- You can view the status of your application by logging in to "My Jobpage" using your username and password.
- Your application is captured in our database and will be reviewed against the position you have applied for.
- Your application will remain on file in our database and will be considered for the specific position for which you have applied.
All applicants are assessed relative to the qualifications listed on the job posting. Applicants who submit their application through the online recruiting tool may be asked a number of questions to further assess your qualifications. This information will be forwarded to the hiring supervisor for review.
Only applicants who are being considered for an interview will be contacted. If you applied through the online recruitment tool, you may check your status online by logging in to "My Jobpage". If you did not apply online, and you have not been contacted within 6 to 8 weeks of the competition closing date, you can assume that your application is not being considered further.
If you have not received a response from the City within six weeks of the competition closing, you should assume the position has been filled.
- The City of Edmonton will only send one acknowledgement for each position that you apply to. If you have updated your application, you will not receive a second acknowledgement confirming your update.
- You can log back into the system as a returning user. All the information that was saved for your application in My Jobpage. You can see what was sent.
No, To protect your privacy, only Human Resources and the hiring manager of the position(s) that you applied on will view your information.
The resume that you attach is available for Recruiting Managers to view and perform searches on, along with the online data entered.
You can request that your profile be deleted from our database, at any time, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select the New User icon on the login page.
- Set up a username and password.
- Create a security question to help you reset your password should you forget it.
Yes, we require you to attach a resume file with your application. You may also attach additional files like cover letter and other supporting documents.
If you already have files attached to your candidate profile, you may select the files relevant to the specific job posting.
- To attach a file, select the "Browse" button located to the right of the field.
- Browse for the file you wish to attach. Double click on the file to select it. You can add comments about the file in the "Comments" text box if you wish.
- Select the "Attach" button to complete the process.
- Note: Candidates can attach up to 10 files, each up to 1MB in size. Pictures, graphics, and scanned pages in resumes or audio files sometimes exceed this size restriction. Please make sure your attachments do not exceed 1MB per attachment.
- We can only accept word (.doc, .docx), text, (.txt), Rich Text Format (.rtf), Portable Document Format (.pdf), and Hypertext Markup Language (.html) documents.
- If you receive an error saying that you have updated your attachments too many times, try renaming the attachment and attaching it.
- Please do not delete resumes attached to your active job applications. Check your My Jobpage to see your active job applications.
Yes. Check off the jobs to "Add to basket", and then "apply for jobs in basket", you will be applying for all those jobs at one time.
- As long as the position is still posted online, you have the option of returning to that position and make any changes that you like to your application.
- To update your application:
- Log on to "My Jobpage" using your username and password
- Select "View/edit submission" under the job title of the position you applied to
- Update your application. Any changes that you make will automatically be saved. A reminder that changes to your application can only be made as long as the position is posted online.
If there are no current opportunities that interest you, you can submit a general application or profile. This profile tells us about your job preferences i. e. job type, location, work hours, etc. You can update your profile at any time to ensure we have your most current information.
- From the Careers page, select "My Jobpage"
- Select "Continue" after reading the acknowledgement statement
- Select "New User" and create a username and password for yourself, and enter your email address. The password you create will allow you to access your profile in our database at any time
- You will be asked to enter personal information (name, address, phone number, etc. )
- You will have the option to cut and paste, or upload your resume.
Finally, you will be prompted to complete a Profile section describing your job-related preferences and information regarding your education, experience, and certificates
- Once you "Submit" your general profile, you will now be eligible for consideration for future opportunities.
If you have submitted a general application, then you can update your information at any time. Log in to "My Jobpage" using your username and password and select "Access my profile" from the right hand column. To modify your information, click "Edit" next to the relevant section(s).
Log in to "My Jobpage" using your username and profile and select "Access my profile. " Find the relevant section with your email address information and select "Edit. "
The required questions are identified by an asterisk (*).
To ensure that the City of Edmonton receives your completed application, provide an answer. Indicate your choice of answer in your cover letter.
Yes. Log on to "My Jobpage" using your username and password and click on "View/edit submission" under the job title of the position you applied to. Update your application.
Open the browser in full screen mode using the F11 function key on your keyboard.
The following count as characters:
- Leading and trailing spaces
- Spaces between characters
- Spaces between words
If you receive this message, you must remove parts of your text to accommodate the system. Keep the information that is most recent and most relevant to the position you are applying for.
The recruiter may have improperly formatted the question. Select one item from the list and add a comment to your cover letter explaining the situation.
Really Simple Syndication (RSS) provides an information feed to make it easy for you to receive the City's latest job posting updates of your preferred jobs without having to check the City's career website. Use your web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox) or a feed reader to view RSS feeds.
Customize RSS feeds from the City's career website by selecting a job category filter and clicking the RSS icon.
For more information visit:
- Click the Job Search tab if the tab is not displayed automatically.
- Click the Search tab and perform your search using only criteria whose fields have the Facebook icon. Select only one job category. The system displays the search results.
- To add the RSS job feed to your Facebook profile, click the Facebook icon.
- In the new window that opens, log in to Facebook using the email address and password on file at Facebook.
- Click Log in to Job Openings.
- You can perform a number of operations in Job Openings such as:
- Click a link on the Job Openings page to view a job posting.
- Click the Share button to send a job posting to a friend.
The steps as described here assume that you already have a Facebook account.
Our career site supports the following browsers:
- Windows OS: Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, and 10, Firefox 17 ESR, Chrome 27
- Mac OS X: Safari 6.x
- Ensure your pop up blocker is turned off. Go to tools in your menu bar - turn off pop up blocker. You may need to refresh your screen (go to view and click refresh or use the icon at the top of your page that has 2 green arrows). Click retry. http://kb.iu.edu/data/atdz.html
- If this doesn't work, clear the temporary Internet files (also called the cache) in your browser and refresh the page. It is advisable to close and re-open the browser
- If you still get an "Error on page" message at the bottom, reboot your machine
- In order to retrieve your password, you will need to use the "Forgot your password" link on the login page. After entering your username and email address, you will receive a Change Password email. Open this email and follow the instructions. This email can only be used to change your password once.
- Once you reach the change password screen, enter the requested information and select your new password keeping the following in mind:
- The password must contain at least six and no more than 32 characters
- The password must NOT contain any special characters (e. g. ", ', ^, ü, é, space, etc. )
- The password must be different from your user name
- If you are still not able to login to the system, contact our Employment Section at 780-496-7872 and leave a message, or email us at email@example.com. One of our staff will be in contact with you shortly to reset your password
Use the last email you have received to change your password.
Verify the following:
- That your email software does not have a filter that prevents you from getting emails from people outside of a certain list of contacts
Solution: Modify your list of contacts
- That you don't have a filter that classifies the emails that you receive
Solution: Verify all your folders.
- The your email service does not block emails with HTML attachments
Solution: Change your email provider.
- This means that one or more answers to a text question have too many characters. You should provide an answer with less then 1,000 characters, including leading and trailing spaces, and returns.
- If you are certain that you comply with these rules, delete your temporary Internet files, reboot your computer and try again.
- Check that your browser is updated to the latest service pack.
This relates to the connection between your PC and the database server. At certain times there is increased "traffic" on the Internet that can slow things down. This also results in your PC becoming "hung" (frozen). Your connection to the Internet may also cause things to slow down; for example, a phone line will be slower than a cable modem or high-speed connection.
When you are applying for a position or leaving your profile, your information is automatically saved each time you go to the next page. If you find your PC is having difficulties, you may want to log out and come back at a later time. If you exit before completing the process, the information provided up to that point is saved. You can return at any time to complete it.
Check that your browser meets our career site browser requirements.
To avoid losing valuable data, use the CONTINUE buttons to navigate through the application process. Because BACK and FORWARD buttons interrupt the application process, they have been disabled.
If you have been using the BACK and FORWARD browser buttons while applying, close your browser and re-start the application.
Here are some hints and tips to follow for a successful online resume and application:
- Check that your browser meets our career site browser requirement.
- Delete Browser Cache
- Microsoft: Tools > Internet Options > Temporary Files > Delete Files > OK > OK to exit.
- Netscape: Edit menu > Preferences > Advanced category > Cache (If no subcategories are visible, double-click Advanced to expand the list) > Clear Cache
- Verify Your Settings. You may need to disable or modify your settings for the following to accommodate the online application:
- Internet Filtering and Monitoring Software
- Personal Firewall
- Privacy Settings
- Popup Blocker
- Turn Off the Popup Blocker.
To turn off your pop up blocker:
- From the Tools in your menu bar, select pop up blocker
- Turn off the pop up blocker
- Refresh the page from the toolbar or from the View menu bar
For More Information
Complete a Recruitment Inquiry form and we will respond to your inquiry within 24 hours.
Please note: Applications will only be accepted via the online TalentHub site.