Great Neighbourhoods Initiative
Great Neighbourhoods is a City of Edmonton initiative to better champion vibrant, equitable and sustainable neighbourhoods.
It’s a made-in-Edmonton approach based on what has worked well in other cities across North America.
Through this corporate, or cross-department, initiative the City will build on the good work already happening in neighbourhoods by:
- improving collaboration with other organizations and among City departments to deliver services in neighbourhoods more efficiently
- conducting comprehensive neighbourhood planning that takes everything from roads and transits to parks and social services into account
- enhancing two-way communication with residents and supporting their efforts to create the place they want their neighbourhood to be
- investing in targeted capital projects of varying sizes that foster outstanding neighbourhoods.
What makes a neighbourhood great for one resident may be different than for another. However, almost everyone agrees great neighbourhoods all have the following qualities:
- well-maintained infrastructure
- interesting and accessible amenities
- safe, clean and pedestrian-friendly environment
- residents who support each other and work with government and other organizations to make their neighbourhood the place they want it to be.
Different neighbourhoods have different needs. Some are stable, some face change and some are in distress. The types of programs, services and investments provided by the City reflect those needs. The common thread is that all neighbourhoods have the potential to remain or become places that support a good quality of life for residents.
Great Neighbourhoods will advance the City’s goal of making Edmonton one of Canada’s most livable cities, a City where you feel you are in the heart of somewhere special, no matter which neighbourhood you call home.
Great Neighbourhoods is administered through the Office of Great Neighbourhoods, and will build on the strengths and assets of our neighbourhoods. A Great Neighbourhoods Steering Committee with representatives from every City department, along with Edmonton Public Libraries and the Edmonton Police Service oversees the initiative.
For more information:
Great Neighbourhoods Section
2nd Floor, Beaufort Building
10835 120 Street