Edmonton Active Recreation and Sport Strategy: 2016 - 2026
All Edmontonians should be inspired to take advantage of every opportunity to be physically active and learn and practice.
In the context of this strategy, 'active recreation and sport' involves a range of physical activity opportunities including active recreation, sport, active play, active living and active transportation at all life stages.
This strategy will raise awareness and help encourage Edmontonians to become more physically active, whether that be in sports activities, recreational activities, or active living pursuits.
Increasing Edmontonians' physical literacy and participation in physical activity will make us healthier. It will improve the well-being of our communities socially, economically, and environmentally.
Quality active recreation and sport opportunities for all makes Edmonton a desirable city in all four seasons in which to live, learn, work and, most importantly play.
This strategy provides a road map for supporting the active recreational and sporting needs of all Edmontonians.
Through collaboration with and input from stakeholders we are:
- Defining a collective vision, mission, core values, and goals
- Outlining key actions for the City of Edmonton
- Identifying key actions for stakeholders
Developing the Strategy
- This strategy was initiated from the The Way We Live Strategic Plan.
- In 2014 and 2015 we are consulting with key stakeholders, organizations, agencies and Edmontonians.
- The strategy will be presented to City Council in 2015.
To lead this initiative, a multi-sector steering committee has been assembled to advance the creation of an Edmonton Active Recreation and Sport Strategy.
The committee has developed 2 discussion documents:
- Literature Review - A snapshot analysis of relevant active recreation and sport literature (2013).
- Current State Assessment Report - A snapshot of the active recreation and sport environment in Edmonton (2013).
In 2010, Edmonton City Council formally approved The Way We Live Strategic Plan. In it, a commitment was made to partner with representatives of the active recreation and sport community, post-secondary institutions, and other stakeholders to develop an Edmonton Active Recreation and Sport Strategy.
For More Information