Edmonton is a caring, inclusive and affordable community
Edmontonians care for each other.
They want a city where all people have opportunities to achieve their aspirations.
Residents appreciate a caring community is one that extends itself to all residents including vulnerable populations. From the simplicity of smiling at a neighbour to encouraging others to get involved in community activities, Edmontonians expect their municipal government to join them in creating a caring, inclusive and affordable community.
They want people services that are affordable and inclusive so that all residents feel a sense of belonging. Although education, housing, health and income security are the mandates of other orders of government, Edmontonians encourage their municipal government to advocate for supports and preventive services to allow full participation in community life for all residents.
Edmontonians understand their city is changing and evolving.
They look to their local government to create opportunities to promote intercultural awareness and eliminate racism.
Edmontonians expect their local government to help create a diverse and inclusive society. The Edmonton Urban Aboriginal Accord is an example of this. The Accord is the first in Canada to respond to the needs and aspirations of urban Aboriginal Peoples.
Through this Accord, Edmontonians express a desire to work with Aboriginal organizations to recognize and support Aboriginal participation in all aspects of urban life.
From people services and programs that enrich the lives of families and individuals, to those that provide critical support at times of individual or collective crisis, Edmontonians value the people services that demonstrate and contribute to a caring society. Edmontonians expect their city government to embody this sense of caring and inclusiveness in delivering its programs and services.
Strategic Policy Directions
The City of Edmonton:
- Provides and partners to deliver services and programs to vulnerable populations.
- Provides its people services so that they are accessible and available to Edmontonians.
- Provides information to Edmontonians to encourage participation in City programs and encourage Edmontonians to access City services.
- Delivers programs and services in response to changing needs and best practices.
- Uses civic declarations and celebrations to promote inclusion and respect for citizens.
- Partners with individuals and organizations to eliminate racism.
- Partners with Aboriginal organizations to recognize and support Aboriginal participation in all aspects of urban life.
- Promotes intercultural awareness and understanding.
- Promotes volunteerism as a means of enhancing a caring community.
- Advocates for barrier free infrastructure.