Opening the Potential - Mentoring for Women
Is Politics For You?
If you’re a woman between 22 and 40, we can help you find out through...
Opening the Potential Mentoring
A program for women interested in municipal politics.
Edmonton’s City Council is joining a national effort to bring more women into local decision making.
Opening the Potential Mentoring aims to inspire young women to think about public service as a career.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities says women, who comprise about half the population, make up just 25% of municipal councils. Canada and its communities cannot afford to lose the insights and expertise of half our population.
How the program works
See the Participant Guide for further information.
- Successful applicants will be matched with participating City Council members.
- Volunteer mentorship will run September through March, time commitment will depend on participants’ goals and objectives. Suggested:
- two meetings per month – may include job shadowing or Council meetings
- regular phone and e-mail contact with Councillor
- Enrolment is limited this year to 9 spaces
How you might benefit
- Improve understanding of political system
- Develop skills and enhance career
- Build networks
- Increase self-confidence
Who is eligible?
- Women 22 to 40 years of age
- Available volunteer time during the day
- No previous experience in public office necessary
How to apply
- Complete the application form (found at the top right of this page).
- Submit the form along with a current resume and reference letter by mail, e-mail or fax to:
Submission Deadline: May 9, 2014
For more information:
Office of the City Clerk, Council Services
3rd Floor, City Hall
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square