Opening the Potential - Mentoring for Women
|Opening the Potential will be offered once again in 2014/15. Watch this page in April for possible changes to the structure and application process.|
Is Politics For You?
If you’re a woman between 18 and 35, we can help you find out through...
Opening the Potential Mentoring
A program for women interested in municipal politics.
Edmonton’s City Council is joining a national effort to bring more women into local decision making.
Opening the Potential Mentoring aims to inspire young women to think about public service as a career.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities says women, who comprise about half the population, make up just 25% of municipal councils. Canada and its communities cannot afford to lose the insights and expertise of half our population.
How the program works
See the Participant Guide for further information.
- Successful applicants will be matched with participating City Council members.
- Volunteer mentorship will run September through March, Time commitment will depend on participants’ goals and objectives. Suggested:
- two meetings per month – may include job shadowing or Council meetings
- regular phone contact with Councillor
- monthly workshops on municipal governance, communication, and civic affairs
- tour of City Hall
- additional activities or events may be organized
How you might benefit
- Develop skills and enhance career
- Improve understanding of political system
- Build networks
- Increase self-confidence
Who is eligible?
- Women 18 to 35
- Available volunteer time
- No previous experience in public office necessary
How to apply
Thank you for your interest, however, applications are not being accepted at this time.
For more information:
Office of the City Clerk, Council Services
3rd Floor, City Hall
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square