Neighbourhoods, Parks & Community Recreation
Neighbourhoods, Parks and Community Recreation improves the livability of all Edmontonians by working directly with citizens in the neighbourhoods in which they live to promote a culture of civic engagement, build great neighbourhoods, enhance community capacity, coordinate service delivery, operate and maintain parks, and invest in revitalization initiatives.
Great Neighbourhoods improves the livability of Edmonton's neighbourhoods and the lives of the people, who live, work and visit there by:
- Investing in the redevelopment, revitalization, reinvestment and renewal of Edmonton neighbourhoods to create vibrant, sustainable, great neighbourhoods;
- Building community capacity by working with residents and supporting their efforts to create the place they want their neighbourhood to be; and
- Coordinating City services and improving collaboration with other organizations and among City departments to deliver services in neighbourhoods more efficiently.
Forestry, Beautification and Environmental Management
This section improves the livability and sustainability of Edmonton's neighbourhoods and City business areas by:
- Ensuring the overall well-being and protection of City trees (ornamental and natural stand trees), planting a diverse and sustainable urban forest and monitoring and improving environmental factors for overall tree health;
- Coordinating beautification initiatives such as community gardens, Communities in Bloom, naturalization, partnership projects and providing special event support;
- Providing asset control and warehousing support for Department-related activities; and
- Overseeing the ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System for the Neighbourhoods, Parks and Community Recreation Branch including agreement with environmental regulations, the creation of procedures to manage any potential environmental risks, coordinating the City's Integrated Pest Management Strategy and the preventive planning for environmental problems.
Northeast, Northwest and South Districts
District operations provide regular maintenance of turf, flowers and shrubs (horticulture), sports fields and playgrounds to ensure functional, safe and clean places throughout the city for citizens to enjoy. Parks, boulevards, school sites, natural areas, roadway landscapes and utility corridors are maintained year-round.
Community Recreation Coordinators build community capacity by working with residents and stakeholders to identify needs and assets; connecting groups to achieve mutual goals; assisting groups to access resources; and providing organizational and board development support. A wide range of low cost and/or free community based recreation opportunities and programs are offered directly and in partnership with community leagues, schools and other groups.