Popular Searches
  • City Bylaws
  • Construction On Your Streets
  • Eco Stations
  • Edmonton Maps
  • Parks
  • Pay Tickets

Contact Us Visiting? Partly Cloudy 18°

Shed or Gazebo Permit

Sheds or gazebos are defined as accessory buildings under the Zoning Bylaw. This bylaw controls the size and location of all accessory buildings.


About the Service

With the exception of the primary residence, any stand-alone building that has an area over 10 square metres (107.64 sq feet) OR is over 4.3 metres (14.1 feet) in height is considered to be an accessory structure that requires both a development and building permit.

Some examples of accessory structures under the Zoning Bylaw would include: stand-alone sheds, gazebos, greenhouses (for personal use only) and pergolas.

A detached garage or carport is also considered an accessory structure, however, special requirements exist for those types of buildings. See detached garages for more information.

If the accessory structure requires mechanical work, please see gas, HVAC, plumbing, electrical or sewer and water permits for more information.

Permit Exemption
While most accessory structures require both a development and building permit, some may not not need either. An accessory structure is exempt if it meets the following conditions:

  • It is less than 10 square metres (107.64 square feet) in area.
  • It is shorter than 4.3 metres (14.1 feet) in height.
  • It complies with all the zoning regulations applicable to the property.

If your structure does not meet these requirements, a development permit and a building permit are required.

Zoning Regulations
The standards in the zoning regulations for a shed or gazebo outlines how tall an accessory structure can be, where it can be built and the amount of area it can cover.

Location regulations
All accessory buildings need to be located at least 0.9 m (3 ft) from a side lot line, 0.6 m (2 ft) from a rear lot line and 0.9 m (3 ft) from the house. View the location diagram in the Shed Brochure Related Document on the right side of this page for specific details.

Other Zoning Regulations
Residential properties can be zoned differently and may be affected by an overlay schedule. To verify the zoning of a property, visit our office or do an address search on the Edmonton Maps website.

Building Design
The Alberta Building Code regulates the construction and safety of the structure. For any related inquiries, contact our office and speak with a Safety Codes Officer.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Accessory buildings like sheds or gazebos require both a development and building permit.

Application Procedure

To apply, fill in the Residential Construction Application form.

Include all required information as indicated, as well as all application fees. The development and building permits are combined in the Residential Construction Application form.

If the residential development permit is for a new building that will be larger than 47 square metres (506 sq. ft.), or an addition to or an alteration of an existing building that will result in the building being larger than 47 square metres (506 sq. ft.) you need to complete and submit the following:

  • Permit application form
  • Abandoned Wells Confirmation form
  • Printout of the map(s) used to confirm the absence/presence of abandoned well(s)


A Development Planner reviews the application using the Zoning Bylaw regulations. An accessory building or shed that conforms to regulations may be approved immediately at the counter.

Your development plans are then examined by a Safety Codes Officer to prepare a building permit.

If your development application is refused, you can appeal the Development Planner’s decision to:

Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
Churchill Building
10019-103 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0G9
Telephone: 780-496-6079

FaxFax: 780-496-6054
In Person

Sustainable Development
Current Planning
5th Floor, 10250 – 101 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4

Hours of Operation: 8am – 4:30pm
Monday through Friday


Mailing address is listed above. Cheques must be payable to the City of Edmonton. Please allow for additional processing time when applications are mailed.


2015 Fees

Development permit fee: $105

Building permit fee: $100

The safety code fee: $4.50

Note: There is an additional $40 fee if development permit is discretionary and notices need to be sent out.

Contact the City About This Service

For more information:

Current Planning Service Centre

Sustainable Development
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-6054