Residential Construction Permits
City building permits make sure that development on your property meets the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw requirements as well as the standards of the Alberta Building Code and Mechanical Permits Bylaw.
About the Service
The building permit application and approval process ensures all home construction meets the City of Edmonton's Zoning Bylaw requirements as well as meeting building and mechancial standards to ensure what you build is safe. Construction details are assessed and approved based on Provincial and City regulations.
Depending on the type of residential construction, you may need to apply for different types of permits.
Some of the permits that may be required are:
1) Development Permit - Development Permits are issued using the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw. They are required when the construction is for a new building, when there will be changes done to the exterior of an existing building or construction will result in a change of use (i.e. constructing a Secondary Suite within an existing single family home).
2) Building Permit - Is a permit that is issued after the detailed construction drawings are reviewed to ensure they meet standards set in the Alberta Building Code. You can buy a complete copy of the Alberta Building Code from the Province of Alberta's Learning Resource Centre.
3) Combination Permits - These are permits that are issued that have both the Development Permit and Building Permit together on the same job. (i.e. uncovered deck with or without a hot tub, detached garage, detached shed etc)
4) New Single Family House Combination Permit - This is a permit for new house construction that combines a number of different types of permits that would be required to construct a new single family house onto one application and collects all of the fees on one job.
5) Mechanical Permits - These are permits that are applied for to cover Heating, Ventilation or Air Conditioning work or Plumbing or Gas work. Mechanical permits are not included in the Building Permit. The mechanical permits are applied for separately, except for the construction of a new single family home or a new semi-detached home. Contact Sustainable Development (below) for details about combined permits for new home construction.
6) Electrical Permits - As of January 1st, 2011 the City of Edmonton is issuing electrical permits. The electrical permit must be applied for separately, except for the construction of a new single family home or new semi-detached home. Contact Sustainable Development (below) for details about combined permits for new home construction.
Inspections are done throughout the project to verify each stage of work has been completed to code.
How Do I Obtain the Service?
Different residential construction may require different types of permits.
You can better understand your specific permit requirements and fees by reviewing the following:
- Addition or Covered Deck
- Basement Development
- Uncovered Deck
- Electrical Permit - Residential/Homeowners
- Garage or Carport - Attached to house
- Garage or Carport - Detached from house
- Hot Tub
- Satellite Dish
- Secondary Suites, Garage Suites or Garden Suites
- Shed or Gazebo (stand alone structure)
- Swimming Pool
- House (for new single family house construction)
- Plumbing Permit
- Gas Permit
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Permit
- Sewer and Water Permit
No permits required
Some alterations do not require permits. When renovations are done to a property without altering any part of the structure, permits are not required. This applies to:
- Roof replacement
- Painting and re-tiling
- Carpet replacement
- Basement drywalling
- Counter top replacement
- Cupboard door alterations
- Window replacement (for same size)
- Door replacement (for same size)
If you have questions about residential construction and permits, please contact Sustainable Development's Customer Information (below).
Hours of operation: 8am-4:30pm
Planning and Development
Contact the City About This Service
For more information:
Current Planning Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311