Leave as Built - Residential & Commercial
Leave as Built is a confirmation by the City that applies to buildings that have had the appropriate development permits issued but the actual building has been built in a different location than what was approved.
About the Service
What is the process?
A Development Officer reviews the application to determine whether they will approve the "variance" allowing the structure to remain.
- If approved, a letter of notification is sent to the adjoining property owners advising them of the application. This notification is also published in the newspaper. The notification period is for the duration of 14 days (not including weekends) from when the notification is first published in the newspaper.
- During the notification period, inquiries can be directed to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board at 780-496-6079 for confirmation on any appeals.
- If no appeals have been filed, the development permit is issued allowing the building to remain as built.
Why is a letter of notification done?The Zoning Bylaw requires that the Current Planning Branch notify all property owners within a 60 metre (200 foot) radius of a development permit approval, for a discretionary use (see Class B) or where the development officer grants a variance on a regulation of the Zoning Bylaw.
Note: a notification may require some additional fees, as outlined in the Fees section below.
The purpose of providing the notice is to provide an opportunity for people who may be affected by these discretionary decisions an opportunity to register an appeal regarding the proposed construction. Any appeals on the approval are sent to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
How Do I Obtain the Service?
To apply, mail or bring the following items to our office:
- A copy of the Leave as Built application form
- A copy of the compliance letter from Sustainable Development
- Two copies of a real property report (we do not accept faxed or spliced real property reports) showing:
1. The location and size of the existing building
2. Distance from side, rear or front property lines
- All application fees.
Office Hours: 8am-4:30pm
|For a house||$150|
|For an accessory building (includes garage, carport, shed, gazebo, and uncovered deck)||$100|
|For an apartment, commercial, multiunit residential and industrial buildings||$350|
Note: Any development that does not comply with the regulations of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw may require a Variance. The possible notification fee if the application is considered to be discretionary approval under the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw is:
- For a house - $100
- For an accessory building - $40
- For an apartment...etc. - $100
Contact the City About This Service
For more information:
Current Planning Service Centre
5th floor, 10250 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4
Hours of Operation:Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm
In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311